Where should I start

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by sigh100, Aug 19, 2008.

1. sigh100

sigh100 New Member

I am a videoconference technician for a University who also uses desktop based videoconferencing as well (access grid etc.) .I have already achieved a OCN certificate in computer networking that alledgedly covered 80% of Network+ material! (More like 60% from what I've read!) I also have completed the Cisco academy for CCNA as I got it really cheap so I threw myself into it! I didn't sit the exam as a) wasn't confident b)felt the certification wasn't relevant to my career. I also in my job image workstations install software, assign static ip's to devices on the uni network and build and install PC's in lecture theatres etc. I use linux and windows both at work and at home(educational licenses are a great perk of the job!). I also run a basic ubuntu server as a media station with samba file sharing etc.
    I hoping my current career path is still considered IT entry level by you guys but I know I'm a little off the beaten path as it were. I can take any course I want in my institution but I don't see any sense in wasting my time if it's not helping me in terms of forwarding my career.
    Where do I want to be! Well I'd like to be more in IT than I am I like networking specifically but I am quite keen on linux administration too. However I need to work on my career/experience.
    What certifications should I be aiming for at present. I'm thinking of going back to Network+ as a starting point as I still think CCNA will be useless to me without some experience though having said that the only certification that seems very relevant to my current career is ironically the new convergence+ which I see quite a few of you be-littleing as it were. I could head more towards VOIP and telephony which may be more relevant too. I need to get past this confusion and set some goals!
    What do you more learned/experienced/qualified guys think/recommend.
    Oh and sorry for the babbling in advance.

Certifications: HND Computing N+ ITIL v3
    WIP: 70-680 other
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would recommend the standard IT certification progression: A+, Network+, and MCDST. For you, I would also recommend Linux+, since you currently work with Linux in a production environment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sigh100

sigh100 New Member

Cheers Michael I thought the standard track would still be best for me i have already put the network + studies into reality and then I will start A+ I think. I know it sounds odd but the network+ looks far less scary at the moment thanks to my previous study. I have the option of studying RHCT as well or linux+ would linux+ be better for me or is there much in it?
    Is he convergence+ still viable after I nail the track you have suggested or should I leave that altogether?
    Should I still try and move more into a standard IT role in order to get past the entry level positions or could I count my current career as entry level IT?
    Sorry for more questions and thank you for taking time out from your own life to help out. I will no doubt be spending a lot of time on here and hopefully I can put something back myself when I've achieved a better level of IT skills/certifications.

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Good call :)

That's because it is! N+ is a kitten. CCNA is a sabre-toothed tiger made of 'awesome', it can't be destroyed and it has a taste for hyper-terminal users.

I'm assuming standard Linux+, but I'm not as experienced as Jon. :p (BosonMichael)

My advice... leave it. Read up on it if you like by clicking here.

This is entirely up to you. What floats your boat more (so to speak)? You need to decide this for yourself.

Yep, looks like it. Potential employers for 'entry' (take this with a pinch of salt) level 1st line support roles and the like generally request 6-12 months of experience in a similar role. Just be sure to put all your IT related experience in your CV (or cover note). Dig a bit deeper on the forums to find advice regarding CV writing or click here.

:) Happy to have you on board. Hope my advice helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. BosonMichael

Any certification exam is easy if you've mastered the concepts. :) But that's the problem: far too often, we haven't mastered something before we try to tackle the exam... so it's an uphill slog when studying for it.

I'd recommend Linux+ simply to get your feet wet... then, at some point, pursue the RHCT. Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with the RHCT, nor do I know how respected it is to companies who employ Linux techs. From what I've heard from others who do know more about the Linux side of things, certifications aren't really that valuable for Linux-only admin jobs. That said, getting them certainly cannot hurt.

I might count your current career as IT experience, but every employer will have their own perceptions. That said, what you are doing now beats what a lot of people who want to get into IT are doing now, so in that, I believe you have an advantage.

That said, I think you should probably look for a more traditional entry-level IT job, such as help desk, PC repair tech, field service tech, and desktop support tech. Most people generally progress from entry-level tech to desktop support tech to server admin to network admin.

I haven't seen much interest in Convergence+... nobody's rushing out to get it.

Glad to be of service. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. BosonMichael

Who is Jon? :blink I'm Michael. You know... as in BosonMichael. :p

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Humour him :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Crito

Crito Banned

If you think CompTIA tests are expensive, wait until you sign up for the RHCE. :ohmy RHCT is considered a consolation prize for failing the RHCE, so it doesn't get any respect. For entry-level LPIC1 or Linux+ would be better choices IMHO.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  9. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Just a wee question (sorry to but into your thread) but as i have completed the MCDST is doing A+ and Network + a step back?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  10. BosonMichael

That depends on whether you can safely assume that someone who has taken the MCDST already has a grasp of hardware, non-Microsoft software, and networking. Sadly, that cannot be safely assumed.

Remember, certification wasn't designed to show employers what you want to be doing... it's designed to show employers what you can already do. Thus, "going back" and getting the A+ and Network+ isn't a "step back"... it's simply validating the full skillset that you have developed during your IT career.

11. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Yes! Humour me! :P :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. sigh100

sigh100 New Member

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm going to go network+ then A+ then linux + not exactly how Boson Michael recommended it but I have Mike Meyers book in front of me already and I think my ccna training is still quite fresh so some of the concepts should come easier. i.e. OSI layer,subnetting etc.
    However thanks everyone