Where should i start, please help

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Gazhodge, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Gazhodge

Gazhodge New Member

Hi all,

I am looking to start a career in IT, i have some experience in terms of building my own pc's but nothing on paper or experience in the working environment.

I am looking to do some courses to get me on the road to a IT career :D

So far i have looked at doing

CompTIA A+ Essentials 220-701 and A+ Practical Application 220-702 exams
    70-680 TS: Windows 7, Configuring and
    70-685 PRO: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

To get me started and then move onto

70-270 Installing, configuring and administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    70-290 Managing and maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 environment
    70-291 Implementing, managing and maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network infrastructure
    70-299 Implementing and administering security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network

70-640 Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory - MCSA then Done.

70-642 Configuring Windows Server 2008 network infrastructure - MCTS then Done.

70-293 Planning and maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network infrastructure
    70-294 Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure
    70-298 Designing security for a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network - MCSE then done.

Can anyone advise me on the above please as i would like to get into networking and this seems to be the courses that keep coming up.

Thank you in advanced.

Gaz :rolleyes:

2. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Welcome to the community Gaz.

That's a long list! :)

I'd forget about the bottom half to two-thirds of that list for now. You want to concentrate on getting your A+ followed by your Network+. Start applying for entry level jobs as soon as possible because experience is the most important thing you can achieve. Without experience you don't even need to worry about getting your MCSA/MCSE, that will all happen for you further down the line.

What type of courses are you looking at? College? Training provider? Have you considered self study?

Hope this helps

Mercury

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
    Gazhodge likes this.
  3. Gazhodge

Gazhodge New Member

Hi Mercury,

Thank you for getting back to me.

i was looking at a training provider (computeach) but not sure which way to go tbh.

I know i need to get my A+ i have just started to read Mike Meyers A+ certification in order to get a head start.

What is the best way to get a job in IT to start and what roles should i be looking at while doing my A+???

thank you in advance

Gaz

4. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Hey Gaz, no worries, happy to help.

The best thing you have done so far is join this forum where you can chat with people actually working in the industry.

Don't sign anything or give training providers any money just yet. Do your research! Remember the Training provider is trying to sell you stuff, they're sales people and in a lot of cases they will try and sell you stuff that is not good for your career at the moment. Example: MCSA, MCSE, CCNA. You need real-life experience before going for these qualifications.

Search this forum and Google for the name of your training provider and see what other people are saying.

I'd recommend self study or joining a local college. Self study is where you buy a book from Amazon and maybe buy some video to watch like CBTnuggets.

CompTIA - Certification Books

5. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Search for "1st line support" jobs. Help desk or customer services within a technical company.

Even working at PC World while studying would give you exposure to tech and customer service skills.

What have you been doing so far? Are you straight out of school/college or have you been working in a different industry?

6. Gazhodge

Gazhodge New Member

Thanks for the advice Mercury :D

In the past i have worked as a retail manager, Hotel Manager, Car Sales Executive.
    Up to June this year i was employed as a car sales executive, but with this job i had to look after the company web site with pictures and content, which then lead to helping people with computer issues ranging from sending an email to creating posters.
    I am 30 now but i went to college from school and did a GNVQ advanced in Business.
    about 10 years ago i used to help out in my local computer shop just building and repairing computer in my spare time but never followed it up for some reason :( and with helping in my last job it has set my fire to get into the IT industry again :D
    I am currently unemployed but i am more than happy to train or earn poor money for a few years so that i get my foot in the door if you know what i mean.

7. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Cool, all sounds good. You already have some great customer service experience, you've maintained a company website and supported end users. :)

Keep reading the Mike Meyers book, look at getting some videos to watch and start applying for 1st line support jobs straight away.

It's a good attitude to have that you're willing to take on a lower paying job to help you change industries. Yeah, get your foot in the door and then work hard and show them what you can do!

Good luck mate. If you really want it, you can make it happen.

Gazhodge likes this.
  8. Gazhodge

Gazhodge New Member

Are there any good websites to look for 1st support jobs? I have only managed to find one locally but will keep looking :tune

in terms of video's, it is a case of youtube or is there certain websites that have them to view?

9. 56mylar

56mylar Bit Poster

You will also want to check CertGuard | IT Certification Exam Security & Integrity for training providers. They have a good list of self study and bootcamps, although I personally am not a fan of bootcamps-esp for entry certs.

I agree starting with A+ (you need 2 exams for that) and going after Net+ and thats about as far ahead as you need to think right now.

For videos, you can check youtube, there are a host of other places to find good training as well, just make sure they are current and reliable. I purchased my last training video from Technologycerts they have a good selection and the best prices I have seen.

10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Regarding the videos; a very good resource is Professor Messer's website.

Cheers
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
    Gazhodge likes this.
  11. Gazhodge

Gazhodge New Member

Hi, thanks you all for the advise you have given me :biggrin

Video look great thank Notes_Bloke :D

I better get learning and book my test :P really hope i can find a job so i can work and train at the same time, can't wait :lol:

12. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Good luck with your studies:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA