Where next??

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by cockney jeff, Sep 1, 2009.

1. cockney jeff

cockney jeff Bit Poster

Hi all.

I am A+ and N+ qualified and have been working in IT for just ten months. I am in a 1st line Support role, but it is very small IT company and am working with just one fellow Support person as well as Programmers/Developers etc.

Anyhow, my colleague has vastly more experience and knowledge than me and I have been called to see manager who wanted me to provide him with a career map of what I wanted to do. The company uses SQL, Sharepoint and Windows 2003 Servers. We support a number of clients remotely as well with IT issues.

Not sure what route to take. Would like ideally to be MCSE qualified at some point, but where do I start? Would self-study or college be best route? What is MCITP, MCSA, etc etc?

Certifications: A+, Network + & MCP
    WIP: MCITP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend the MCDST. Afterwards, it depends on your experience level. How much and what kind of server administration experience do you have?

Self-study is definitely the way to go, in my opinion.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, the MCDST is the next logical step :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security