Where & how to start.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Simon.B, May 12, 2011.

1. Simon.B

Simon.B New Member

I have zero IT qualifications and like many people want to break into the IT industry. I figured I needed a change of career and computers are something I enjoy.

I tried doing an CompTIA A+ years ago with some distance learning company which has since disappeared. The material was out of date, the support was extrememly poor. To make a long story short, it was a disaster and I never finished it. It was a lesson I will never forget and one that I don't wish to repeat.

The real problem is that there are so many qualifications and I just don't know where to start, and I don't know what most jobs require. Would an A+ and N+ be enough to get your foot on the minimum wage ladder in the industry? Or are there so many people out there with qualifications now that you need something alot better?

As someone that stuggles a little with motivation I would prefer classroom training, but alot of these companies seem to give substandard training.

While reading ManicD's review of UK IT Training I remembered that I visited this company in Tolworth and even dealt with Joel Dobson. I came so close to handing over my money. When I turned down the training I remember them getting quite pushy. I've read quite a bit about Firebrand here. They're definately a no go. I thought I had settled on Koenig Solutions in India. The course I was looking at was 90 long days of training and alot of money. It's not something I want to screw up. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

I know alot of people here support buying a book and teaching yourself. I find that very hard myself, but it may be the only way to go. Zimbo's Guide to Self Study was very helpful, but I'm still unsure of this method for me.

That was more of a story than a question.

So to sum it up....
    Self Study recommened?
    Training centers recommended?
    Anyone tried Koenig Solutions?

If these have all been answered in the pinned posts I aplogise. I don't have time to read them all now. Need to go to work.

Thanks, bye.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The A+, N+ and MCDST are the first certs to get but the MCDST is retiring in June so you probably wont get time to do that so the MCITP windows 7 would be the next step.

I cant advise on training providers as I have never used one but I would suggest you take anything any TP says with a pinch of salt.

Try self studying before forking out loads of cash to a TP.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

I'm in the states so I can't recommend a training provider, but I can definitely recommend that if you know you need classroom training to succeed, don't be afraid to go that route. Also keep in mind that technical support is only one step in your IT career, as much fun as it can be (I like doing it! No joking!) you can only go so far with it.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Many local colleges run A+ style night courses, the names can vary could be Cisco essentials or BTEC etc.

5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I would always recommend trying self-study first. Spend £20-30 on a book and give it a go. If you discover that it isn't for you, you still have the book as a study source to supplement any classroom training you may take.
    There's nothing to stop you applying for entry-level jobs just now, there's no need to wait until you have certs under your belt.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job