Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Nick_G, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Nick_G

Nick_G Bit Poster

Hi all.

I am a newbie to this IT malarkey and after trying on a course with ICS have decided to scrap this idea (they expect a newbie to study and pass the SQL Server 2000 exam in 3 months from scratch).

Ideally, I would like to end up in a job where I can combine computers and creativity, anything from web design, to site building, audio/video, maybe even animation. Software development in the same area also appeals, e.g. web, graphics, audio and video.

I already have an HNC in Multimedia since 2003 but haven't used it since as my job background is in science/laboratory work.

I realise as a newbie it is going to take time. I am going to do the self-study route and am wondering what the best route to take is.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Nick.

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi!

I suggest you look at the A+ first up... it will give you a solid foundation for whatever path you want to follow in IT and will get your confidence on the up so you can tackle those harder certs.... Have you considered the certfications from CIW?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Nick_G

Nick_G Bit Poster

Hi zimbo.

I was actually doing an A+ with another vendor before I got accepted by ICS. The CIW courses look very interesting though.

There aren't any training providers near me though. Do I have to do a CIW course through a training provider or can I do it myself from home?

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey Nick,

I almost did the CIW with CompuTeach as part of their Webmasters course, but they wanted £4500 for it!! I never looked into studying it anywhere else because at the time none of the webby jobs that were advertised ask for CIW certification. I'm not sure if this is still the case, or how recognised the qualification is by industry peeps today.

Maybe someone who's in the Industry could shed a bit more light on it?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A question for you Nick_G, why do you feel the need to study with a learning provider? :blink

6. Nick_G

Nick_G Bit Poster

Hi Simon.

I would like to study at home if possible but can you get a CIW certification by self-study? It only mentions training providers on the CIW web pages.

7. Nick_G

Nick_G Bit Poster

BTW I also have Macromedia Studio MX installed on my Mac as I used it when I was studying for my Multimedia HNC. I just need study material next.

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

What about Amazon they have CIW online training for £54.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CIW-Foundat...=sr_1_2/026-0249986-1759669?ie=UTF8&s=gateway

or CIW proffessional study guide:-

CIW: Security Professional Study Guide: Exam 1D0-470

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Since you have Studio MX, you will know that most websites are flashed based. There always a need for Flash animation. These day's anyone can set up a website, but flash based and the knowledge of how vector graphics works is always a bonus.

Did you get Cold fusion with the MX pack?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. Nick_G

Nick_G Bit Poster

No I didn't get Cold Fusion as that is only on the PC version.

Does it matter that the software is 4 years old?