Where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by reverb, Apr 13, 2011.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Hi all,

I'm currently working my in first proper IT job in support (for about 6 months) for a small company and intend to find a new job soon. Although I was employed to do 1st line support tasks like XP and emails, I found myself doing a bit of everything. XP and Office support, active directory, Windows Server 2k3, firewall configuration, network shares, linux, Mac, phone systems, photocopiers, printers and other things. Kind of jack of all trades :D
    Would it be unrealistic for me to target "Desktop Support" kind of roles or should I still stick to 1st line/helpdesk ?

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

If you're working with all that kit - i'd say stay for at least another year or so (If you're not on contract/temp) Get a solid experience in supporting as much as you can. - Very rare you'd see a first line role dealing with server os's & firewalls.

Desktop support sort of is 1st line support - depending on the company you're working for and how they work things. The chaps who do our first line support do alot of desktop support, and they run off of a helpdesk, so it can be the same at times.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Cool cheers.

That's the problem though, I'm on a contract which is ending in the coming months :D

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Ah bummer! I'd apply for similar roles with similar job titles then in that case. keep on building on that experience

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud