Where do I go from here???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by CyBeRkId2002, May 14, 2004.

1. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002 New Member

Newbie here, just want to say what a great, informative, friendly forum you have here...

Im facing a pretty tough decision very shortly. I finish my degree in psychology and computing in a couple of weeks and havent got a clue where to go from here? As ive done a joint degree I dont feel I have enough knowledge in going directly into a job in either of those fields so heres what id been thinking:

Get a fairly permanent job for 12months in anything to pay rent etc...
    At the same time save up for my A+ Certification and possibly Networks+...
    After certification look for a job in the computing industry but ill still face the problem of having no practical experience...

Can anyone advise me on what might be a good route to take as I am unsure at the present time. Also, on average, how much can I expect to pay to gain my A+?

Thanks in advance,
    Michael Jones

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Michael :)

Firstly, welcome to CertForums.

Secondly, I'd agree that A+ (and prob Network+ too) are almost certainly going to stand you in great stead for any area you decide to pursue in computing.

However, so we can offer you more advice, you'd really need to tell us just what areas you find most interesting. I mean, are you a hardware freak, or into networking or security ? Or like software/programming, or web design ?

These are all different areas (with many overlapping borders) and many have seperate certification routes you can choose to follow. With some more info from you, I'm sure the Guys around here will be more than willing and able to give you more advice.

Good luck in whatever you choose, Mate :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Interesting combination. The first thought that popped into my head was Human Factors usability studies. This is where computer hardware and software usability is studied in order to improve marketing. I support a usability lab half-time out at HP here in Boise. The lab tests mainly web content and search functions, writing tests for various product support websites and presenting the results to the authors. There are various levels of workers including the high muckity-mucks who actually write the tests and go to the meetings, the mid level folks to actually conduct the tests, interact with the subjects and do the recordings, and then there's me...the tech. Although I have a psychology and a counseling degree, they don't really apply since all I really do is support the lab hardware and applications, network connections, guest test machines and any specialized software they use and shop around for upgrades and new technology.

Whew. Quite a paragraph. I do have to ask what you had in mind when you embarked on your journey. Did you see other applications to your dual degree? Other jobs to consider would be computer training of some sort. Actually teaching technology to subject groups for the purpose of job training for example. Anything where your knowledge of human motivation and learning behaviors would mesh with your technical knowledge.

As far as certifications and such, I'd have to agree that the A+ and Network+ certs are the foundation for anything else you'll end up doing technologically. You may end up favoring one degree for another until the opportunity (maybe months or years from now) happens where you can use them both. I'd say get some experience; any experience. You won't really know what you'll end up loving until you try a bunch of different things out. Contract work is becoming more plentiful (Ethernet rollouts, Hardware and operating system upgrades and such) so you might want to look around at whatever technical recruiting agencies are at hand where you are.

Whatever you decide upon, I wish you luck. Please, hang around here and ask whatever you'd like that might help. Also, we'd love to share your experiences as you develop your career. Glad you came on board.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002 New Member

hi all,
    i know its been a long time since my last post however there has not really been much to tell. I recently finsihed my university degree and spent a while looking for any job in the computer field to pay the rent and get a bit of experience. The best position i could find that were willing to take me on with my lack of experience was data entry which ive been doing for two weeks now...
    that was until thursday when i had an interview with a local college who offered me the position of ICT technician, which i obviously accepted...
    At the minute im in the process of beginning to study for my A+ and network+ examinations which i mentioned i would be doing during the interview. if anyone has studied for the above examinations and have any useful hints and tips, useful books etc. they could share with me i would be most grateful.

ill keep you all updated on the new job when i start in august.

bye for now,
    Michael

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Michael,

Great news on the upturn in fortunes your having :thumbleft

The experience you'll gain in ICT Tech will give you great experience for A+ and N+. Also, the best advice I could offer would be spend some time in our A+ and (albeit less so) Network+ forums.

Keep us posted on your progress - success stories are always encouraging to others. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

congrats mate, definatly some good fortunes there :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the new job and good luck.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685