Where do i find cheap PCs or components

Discussion in 'A+' started by d_mcgrail, Aug 28, 2009.

1. d_mcgrail

d_mcgrail Nibble Poster

Just wondered if you guys could advise where I'm best to get a computer system to mess about with and a few components to upgrade (cheap websites you use). Think i need to crack on with practical side of my A+ so definately would help to have a PC other than my main home one to play with and my budget is quite tight at the moment due to just buying a car.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Taking a xmas break
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I built my last server entirely using Dabs.com

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

A lot of companies have hardware they just throw away... I know in the past, most of the stuff is sent to recyclers that need to be paid for the service. So why not go knocking on the door of a few bigger companies in your area, ask to speak to the CIO or the head of the PC installation support and ask them frankly if they could spare a machine or two.

You should also tell them that the machine without disks is good enough if they don't want to let go of those (due to protective measures). Offer to pay a beer in return and I'd say most will say yes :)

You could be sneaky and say that you come from a school and that the school is looking for a few extra machines to teach PC stuff on... This usually warms the hearts of most people thinking they're doing a good deed ;)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Ask friends/family. I got an old but >=XP spec computer for nothing from a friend, the HD was on it's way out but otherwise it was perfectly serviceable.
    I think I spent:
    £20 KVM switch to save me buying a monitor or hauling my CRT out of storage.
    £20 DVDRW (it only had a CDR)
    £15 wireless NIC
    and I had a spare HDD lying about.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

www.ebuyer.com have been mostly very good. The odd order has gone awry, but good prices.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?