when you study for a cert...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, May 13, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Do you simply read a book/watch videos without taking notes? If you do take notes do you handwrite them or type? Just trying to get some methods on the go as I suck at summarising walls of text as it all seems relevant.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I get an a4 pad and write all of my notes, I always have. I am convinced that writing it out helps me remember it better but thats just me. A book alone is never enough for me. CBT's if I can but if not, the book usually has lab sections at the end of each chapter so I will always do the tasks in the book in my own lab, so book, lab a definite, cbt optional but preffered.
    With regard to whats relevant, always go onto the vendors website and print out where they tell you what you'll be tested on. Try to think of your notes as padding out beneath each bullet point the vendor lists which also lets you think about what you know on each topic. If one topic looks light, its likely you'll struggle in that area when it comes to the exam. This isn't always easy but I've used different coloured markers before today to highlight different topics.
    Like anything, interviews, presentations, exams. If you feel you've done all you could before the exam, you'll go in confident. Should you fail, as we all do at times, you'll likely fail on just one or two areas. You can go away, swat up and smash it on your second attempt.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Coupe2T likes this.
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I think the above is pretty much spot on, I would also recommend hand writing notes and also feel it helps me remember better.

Then same again, Labs, Vids if possible, ideally a couple of written sources as well. I like to try and use 2 books, but it can get a little bit much sometimes, lot to read etc.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    JK2447 likes this.
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Good point thats the same for me, I'll only buy a second book if I feel the first book isn't great. Not that I'm the expert, it might just be that I don't like how it's laid out or the diagrams. Two books for one exam slows me down too much in my experience but then again, that is again related to my style as once I know I want to sit an exam, I usually set the date for about six weeks later. Any longer for me and I start getting hazy on some of the stuff I read at the start ha ha (getting old here)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So for me it's actually reading, watching videos, doing labs and then writing a study guide to assist others when possible (it's basically what my blog does).

I have a couple of pages that I wrote for the VCAP exams and am in the process of writing more.

I have also looked at an excel sheet that has the blueprint requirements in there with tick boxes for reading, labs and any cli commands etc.
    The trouble I have now is that a lot of what I now want to study isn't a two week study fest but more along the lines 3+ months. Throw in family, work and a commute and it get's to be difficult finding the time.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA