When you look at a CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 26, 2011.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What do you think when you see someone with certifications and IT qualifications but no experience?

Does this make you think that this person must have some expertise? or does it make you think this person can pass some exams?

And I am meaning for someone who has entry level certs and is applying for their first job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For someone who has entry level (professional) certs and is applying for their first job, yes it shows that they can pass exam(s) and that they should have a certain amount of foundation knowledge on which to build upon (lets face it classroom and real world are two different places).

I'm not saying that they have to have professional certs (as I didn't start my professional certification studies until I had already been working in IT).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Assuming the cert is reasonable for someone with no experience, such as A+, then I see someone who wants to break into I.T. If the position is entry level then it's surely a good sign.

By the time I landed my first I.T. job I had the A+ and MCP 70-270. My boss hired me as my "theoretical" knowledge was good and I was personable. I definitely lacked in experience but the certs got me in the door.

It's a good thing. We can back and forth about only being good at passing exams but it seems pointless as that argument can be applied to anything involving exams and can be backed up with endless examples in either direction. We'd be here all day. Did you have a more specific scenario in mind? I think a lot of us here got certs before jobs and agree they didn't harm as they got us in the door and cemented knowledge.

If it's a CCNA, well that's a different story. We need to be realistic

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would second all what's been said above as well as add that having a customer focused, good listening and communication skills helps as well.

I landed my first IT position with only an MCP 70-270 without any work place experience. I was given the job based on my customer handling skills and my enthusiasm to learn.

Please, note the above applies not just only to entry level IT roles but to every spectrum of IT in general. The technical experience you're bringing into the role would get the job done but ultimately you'd be providing some sort of a service that would impact people and the business.

All the best:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. XDA

XDA Bit Poster

I have no certs apart from my NVQ but I have 6 IT years experience, and I have no real issue finding jobs.

Anyone can take certs, but it's harder to gain experience. At my interviews, the interviewer has only been interested in my experience.

I would say a MCDST or A+ cert is ok, but anything more for someone with no experience is a no no in my opinion.

Certifications: IT NVQ Level 3, ECDL, HP APS (2009) and CompTIA A+
    WIP: Lenovo (Warranty repairs)
  6. greenbrucelee

Thanks for the input people. there wasnt reall a scenario that my question was based. i was just wanting an idea of what people thought of entry level employees with entry level certs.

There are people who are good at exams but suck in the real world and there are people who are good in exams and good in the real world then there are people like me, I suck at exams. i never score very high although I would never say i was good in the world of IT I can do the job.
    how as employers do you weed out the people who suck?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  7. dblight

dblight Bit Poster

From the days when I used to interview/select from CV's, junior entry certs and a little experience would have been an "interview" candidate if the job role was a junior position. On the other hand if they had loads of certs and lots of experience and still applying for a junior role I would question the application reason.

Certifications: 70-620:Configuring Windows Vista Client
    WIP: 70-640 / 70-642 / 70-646
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Every employer is different. But I can tell you how I weed out applicants. I dunno if they truly "suck"... because I weed most of them out before I have a chance to meet them. However, if I'm hiring the best person for the job, I have to use some criteria to narrow down the field of candidates.

Here's what I weed out:
    • For a higher-level job, candidates that lack experience to do the job.
    • For lower-level jobs, candidates that have way too much experience or way too many certifications.
    • Candidates with poor resumes (CVs in your neck of the woods). Those with numerous spelling mistakes and poor organization/structure usually end up under the axe.
    • Excessive unemployment gaps - I understand that unemployment happens. But excessive unemployment gaps leads me to question why you haven't found a job yet. What are other employers seeing that's causing them to not hire or interview you? Or, if you haven't been looking for work, that makes me question your motivation.
    • Excessive job hopping - I understand that some job hopping happens if you're a good tech. But excessive job hopping is a danger sign.
    Although these won't automatically get your resume binned, I lean somewhat negatively towards the following:
    • Those who can't be bothered to write a proper cover letter
    • Long resumes. A long resume won't automatically get you binned... but if after 30 seconds of skimming your resume, I'm still not sure as to whether you're a good candidate, you'll likely end up in the bin.
    • Starting college, but not finishing. I understand that life happens. But if you won't finish college, what might you abandon in the workplace? If you don't finish college, simply don't add it to your resume... or you could be inviting the doubt I've described.
    • Listing your hobbies and favorite teams. In truth, I would question the logic behind adding this information. After all, I want someone who is the best person for the job... not someone who is the best person to have fun with after work. The "fun stuff" can come out in the interview. Just my opinion. :)
    • An unprofessional contact e-mail address. Although it might make me laugh, listing an e-mail address of ipwnedurmom@_____.com or smokinbudz@______.net isn't going to score you any points and just might cause an employer to question your maturity or employability. By all means, use them in your personal life... but create another one that you can use for business purposes.
    What isn't very important to me:
    • whether you include logos or not
    • whether you include references or not - I can ask you for them if I need them.
    • whether you went to a training school or self-studied (however, I lean more positively towards those who can self-study).
    So what DO I like to see?
    • a cover letter
    • a resume where I can get a good idea of what you can do within the first 15 seconds of skimming.
    • proper experience level for the position
    • certifications that correspond to your experience level
    • good spelling and organization
    • a solid employment history
    Again, every employer is different. But maybe this one viewpoint from the "other side of the table" will be helpful to those of you who are out there looking. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. greenbrucelee

Thanks for the Feed back Michael. Repped :D

10. Consultant

Consultant Bit Poster

Michael's pretty much on the money with his explaination (although I do disagree with several points of his that just highlights some of the difference between our backgrounds and hiring differences between UK and USA)

It's all common sense, you need to show that you have willingness to learn if you're entry level. Everyone has to start somewhere, just show that you don't want to stay stuck at the start, if you can show that you've gone beyond the exam and dug deeper into your subject so much so the better. If you're more senior and have quals be prepared to back them up, or if you don't have quals, I like to see solid recommendations and sound experience, with consistent delivery of results. If you lie on your CV, be prepared to get called out on it.

Just my 2 euros/pence/cents/yen

T

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, MySQL OCA
    WIP: OCP MySQL DBA
  11. greenbrucelee

THanks for your feed back Consultant. Repped :D