When is it the right time to move on?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jvanassen, Mar 25, 2014.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

Theoretically speaking say a person is working in IT and they have progressed very quickly and find themselves in a new job role. They have been given a new job title and are now doing a lot of the work their manager use to do. There tasks and responsibilities are a huge jump away from what they were doing in there previous role.

They have had all this extra responsibility and tasks for around 8 months now but officially in terms of there job title being changed only 3/4 months. This person is still on the salary they were on for there previous role and they are constantly seeing jobs out there and they think "that's what I am doing right now" and they see that this is the industry rate for this sort of job and they really are due a pay increase.

They've gone to there boss and raised there concerns regarding this and there boss has agreed that they should have this extra money however he goes on to say now's not a great time and they may possibly have to wait 6 months before seeing any sort of increase however there is budget for training courses and there name will be down for these. This person was also told that the company doesn't want to go down the route of losing there valuable/skilled members of staff and to please bare with them.

The person enjoys there job and has no real issue to jump ship apart from money concerns which do worry them as they do need extra money right now and they don't think they can carry on with this wage for another 6 months. Furthermore this person has only worked for 1 corporate IT company so in a way actually feels that to take themselves out of there comfort zone and to see perhaps how another company's network etc. is setup could open there mind a bit more and bring them even more experience.

What advice would you give to this person?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

They either value their staff members and pay them the market rates or they lose their staff members and have to pay the new joiner the increased rate.

Personally speaking I would move on.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    wagnerk and jvanassen like this.
  3. jvanassen

Thanks for the reply. I think you perhaps have the right stance on this, would you think its worth waiting around to be sent on a course if their perhaps on the horizon within the next 2 months or would you think staying around and taking advantage of a course then handing in your notice if/when you get a new job offer could leave a sour taste in your current employee's mouth and perhaps burn any bridges you had with them.

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I agree with Simon to a degree. My advice to the person would be to gain 18 months experience doing what they are doing now. The person don't have much experience doing what you are doing now if they have only done it for 8 months? I agree people should be paid a fair amount for the role they are given but I personally also feel A) You have to give the employer a bit more time to see what they can offer and as said B) make sure you have 18 months in the role. Jumping jobs too quickly can work against you on your CV as it looks like you're always looking to move on. Just my opinion, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    wagnerk likes this.
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If the only reason why a person is looking to jump ship is because the money isn't right (and there is no financial hardship and/or the person is unhappy), then I would agree with jk2447. However if the person is facing financial hardships and/or is unhappy where s/he works, then I would agree with SimonD.

Nothing is just black and white, and there are a lot of different factors to take into consideration.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    jk2447 likes this.
  6. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I was in the same boat around 4 years ago, i was put into a new role working with SCCM, i worked on the same wage, doing extra hours and extra work for over 18 months before i saw a payrise from the company.

4 years down the line, I've tripled that salary i was initially on, without going into too much detail I now pay the 40% tax bracket (government bastards) which now i come to think about it, working for those 18 months to gain that vital experience was well worth it! I've switched company to get to where i am now, but there is a time and a place to do such things.

From my experience, 4 years wasn't a long time to gain the experience i have now, and along with it the wage increase. It'll come in time, you just need to be patient - i agree with jk2447 too - 8 months isn't a great deal of time to gather all the experience in this role, and i think you should wait it out a bit more and see how you go.

Good luck either way with whatever you decide :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    wagnerk, Rob1234 and jvanassen like this.
  7. jvanassen

Thanks for the advice guys helpful as always and always good to get the opinion of people in the same profession rather than friends and family. This person has weighed up the pros and cons and decided to stick around for the time being with the basis that it will be the right decision in the long term and based on the idea that they will be sent on training courses in the next couple of months, the company have agreed to pay for the certification exam that persons currently studying towards. Furthermore a couple of the projects this company have lined up to implement could potentially look good on the CV.

So stick it out for now and see what happens.....

8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I think you made the right call, sounds like the company want to keep "this person" ;) and are willing to pay for training etc. That doesn't come cheap either mind you. I think my previous firm spent around 25k over the 4 years i was there to send me on 5 day courses for various different things. Training is often something that's not considered, but it's career development and is a huge bonus to be added onto your salary and other benefits etc.

Projects are always good, the only reason i took my current job on now is because of the project :D I'm managing a WinXP -> Win7 refresh for a large financial organization globally. Getting to travel around the world whilst i do so! once i have this done and on my CV i'm pretty much set for my career. It took a long hard 5 years in total, but i'm where i want to be, and no doubt if you continue you will be too - just takes a little time :) as a previous post said, if you were un happy in the job, it'd be a bit different, but if you're happy somewhere and your gaining experience - reuslt

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    jvanassen likes this.
  9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I don't work within IT but the company I work for is forever recruiting new staff (literally every week) due to the fact people leave because they soon realise the wage is horrible in regards to the type of work we do and the highrisk work. My company loses some really good employees because of this.

10. jvanassen

Hi guys,

So were nearly 4 months on since i wrote this thread and it slowly grinded me down for a number of reasons, one being training courses never happened.

So i started looking around and saw a job that straight away sprung out to me as what i was currently doing, i looked at the wage and though i probably dont stand a chance as ive only been working in IT for just over 2 years, i geared my CV towards the fact that although i have 2 years experience i have been involved in some great projects and have so really great experience, not 2 years worth.

Long and short of it, ive been offered the job with a huge salary jump in what looks like a great, much bigger company, with extra holiday where i could also learn alot. The opportunity is great and its also going to pay me what i feel i deserve.

However the company have set a start date of September 8th and ive caught wind that i may get a small pay rise this month with a fairly big back dated amount from my current employer, i have a great relationship with my manager and he will probably do everything in his power to keep me as its really going to leave them in the ****. I also only have to give 4 weeks working notice.

Do i,

- Hand in my notice now, possibly work my 4 weeks notice and then be jobless for 2-3 weeks (i am hoping that due to my knowledge and short staff in IT they would let me stay on up till september 8th, i cant afford to be jobless for 2-3 weeks) Has anyone ever known this to happen or do companys generally get sour and want you out the door after 4 weeks, one thing to note is im the only infrastructure, admin role at the moment. One side of me feels that i would be doing them a favour and could help find my replacement plus still be there to get that person up to speed, but the other side of me is that they could possibly only let me stay for the 4 weeks and then want me gone, leaving me snookered. Is it possible to have a chat with them and let them know but not actually hand in your notice, thus stopping them forcing you out after 4 weeks?

- Accept the job send back the written confirmation and then hold on giving my notice in for the next 3 weeks then give it in with 4 weeks to go till the start date, having already possibly received this backdated pay rise maybe the week before which could turn things really sour. Also i feel i owe it to my manager to have a chat with him before i have already officially accepted the job. Also you never know they may be able to make me a better offer, i dont know and it would be very awkward if i already accepted the job weeks ago...

Feel like this is a really awkward position or im reading to much into it, ive never been in a position like this, its always been start asap please. Your suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

If it was me I'd go where the money is, though I'd be interested in any offer my old boss would be willing to bring to the table. tbh you're in a situation alot of people would kill to be in.

12. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Personally I would speak to the manager you have a good relationship with. Inform him/her that you have been offered a new job with a start date and explain why you have decided to look elsewhere. You seem to have a good working relationship so may already know most of your issues at your current place of work and will be supportive of the fact that sometimes, to progress you need to change companies. The manager can then use the information to either set up a meeting between yourself and the decision makers or speak to them himself/herself to discuss your circumstances. I very much doubt they are going to tell you to hand in your notice and make you leave asap, as like you mentioned you are the only infrastructure/admin and they will need to replace you and use your knowledge of the role in the company to train the next person. They may even decide they really want to keep you and meet some demands on wages/courses/working conditions but I am afraid after advise on the internet and friends/family you are on your own.

If I was in the position you were in I would smile first, then speak to my manager! Don't burn your bridges!

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
    Sparky likes this.
  13. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What Dazzo said.

I have been in this position twice before and ended up with a better package –pay increase and also some toys chucked in (iPad etc.)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. jvanassen

Thanks for the advice guys, I think your right i should be having a chat with my manager before committing to something new, its what I want to do but was just concerned that I may end up out of pocket.

15. jvanassen

So i guess the inevitable next question is, how have people found their relationships at work with their boss etc. after accepting a counter offer and choosing to stay :)

16. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Unable to comment as never been in the situation.

Nose to the grind stone my friend..... show them why they kept you on :D

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  17. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Much better if I’m honest! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Have heard both pros and cons for those situations, some people have been fine some say never take the counter offer.

Depends on how much you like the current place and people, and even with changes now can you see a future there for yourself?

Personally I generally like to move if I get to that stage, although now it'd only be a move within the company (albeit a large one) as got no real inclination to move elsewhere, yet ;)

Taken from another forum by a chap who is a recruiter/headhunter

And more to the point

But as said everyone's circumstances are different, that's just one point of view, and I'd speak to the manager now rather than sit on it as that won't do you any favours :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014