Whats wrong with my setup?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, May 22, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi guys,

I would like to know from you IT techs, what is exactly wrong with my setup; assuming my computer meets the hardware requirements is there any thing wrong with what i normally use;

Win XP SP2
    Firewall enabled (if no hardware firewall, then i add in ZA aswell)
    AVG
    DVD Shrink
    Alcohol
    DVD Region-free
    Nero
    Remote Administrator (depending on who the user is)
    Net limiter
    FireFox

I disable remote connections, and send details to MS...

Generally thats it, there other like office and that, but wont go there, cuz the list is forever...

I am fed up with people telling i should do this instead, but when you give them the computer or laptop to fix themselves, they either cant fix it, or just walk away!

sorry, having a bad day... :x

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nothing at all wrong with it cheek. Use the programs that you feel best get the job done for yourself and ignore what others say! 8)

3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Not sure I fully understand the question, who are these machines for? what exactly are they saying you should be doing instead?

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

generally for home, so web browsing, playing games, not hardcore games, printing photos and that, the basic stuff...

AVG for example, "they" say, dont use that, its no good, use Avast instead, and win defender? (ms new prog)...

my argument to the person was; this dude (guys laptop) doesn't know much about computer, all he wants is his computer up and running, the programs im using does the same job as what you are using, just a different name, albeit he is working for I.T., he thinks i should do what he says, wan*er, one thing he doesn't realise, is that i know a hell of a lot more than people realise...

in the end, i explained to the guy whos laptop it is, the difference between the 2 programs... which is nothing, both a free, and both does the job, as long as you update your definations, dont open any files from people you dont know, always virus check files from people even if you know them, then it should be ok...

i want to go home...

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ask the guy why it is that if he's so good why are people getting you to fix their pc's?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685