What's wrong with my CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Grahamuk2008, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Grahamuk2008

Grahamuk2008 New Member

I have been applying for IT jobs on a daily basis and have not had many replies and was wondering if this could be because of my CV? Also I was wondering because I currently work in a supermarket could this also put potential employers off as by some it may not be regarded as a very good job?

Attached Files:

• cv1.doc
      File size:
      41.5 KB
      Views:
    Certifications: OCR Level 3 Certification
    WIP: CCNA, MCSA, A+
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

If that was me I would go into more detail on you pc sales job and computer repair job, what did you fix what sort of hardware was it (makes/models) that kind of thing. I would aim to make that job a much bigger and descriptive paragraph and make the others less prominent, maybe include why you want a to change jobs/have a career in IT. Show them a passion for it not just that you might be bored with working where you do.

As you have yet to start a career in IT I would make the sales job the biggest one and push the others into the background a bit. Also nowadays you dont really need the hobbies bit. they arnt really interested in that anymore.

edit:
    also the advisor and supervisor bit for currys reads almost identical word for word, makes it look a little lazy, and I normally list 2 names and addresses of references as they employers will normally ask you if they can contact them anyway.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. delboy

delboy Bit Poster

So you studying for Cisco and Microsoft exams? Which way do you want to go? Focus on one or the other.

And you have no real life experience to back up any of your key skills. I think CCNA is pushing it a bit too far. Start studying A+ or something more basic.

What kinda jobs are you applying for?

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

There is nothing stopping him from going for both certifications further down the line.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. delboy

delboy Bit Poster

Did I say there was anything stopping him for going for both certifications further down the line?

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd strictly follow the advice given by dales as its spot on. Furthermore also concentrate on your MCSA studies and exams for the time being as this would get you more attention with the recruiters. Best wishes and don't give up:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What dales said.

Also....

Able to set up and configure networks, routers, switches and clients

Maybe change this to "Basic networking knowledge"? Networks can be quite complex btw! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I agree with Sparky on that last point. You could open yourself up for being caught out big time by saying something like that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Grahamuk2008

Grahamuk2008 New Member

I'm mainly applying for helpdesk jobs and other entry level stuff, I want to go into networking that's why i'm doing the CCNA for when i eventually do get a shot at a networking job further down the line. delboy not too sure what you mean by pushing it a bit far, if you mean maybe it's too hard for someone with little experience then maybe your right but i like doing it and the course is going really well. Also i was thinking of doing the A+ and Network+ studying at home when i'm not at college or work, I used to work as a computer technician so i think i should get through the A+ pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the advice i will take it on board and also make some CV changes.

Cheers

Graham

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

One word of advice, I wouldn't do the CCNA until you are ready to take a job doing networking, the knowledge you have gained doing the CCNA at such an early stage will soon be forgotten if not used on a regular basis and that would be a waste of time, effort and money.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed. And you won't be using the CCNA stuff in an entry-level job... or likely, even the next-step-up job.

Additionally, the CCNA can, in fact, drive away potential employers hiring for helpdesk jobs. They'll see the CCNA on your CV and think one of two things:

1) What's a CCNA doing applying for helpdesk jobs? We can't afford someone who has that certification (as your CV hits the trash can).
    2) Wow, look, this guy has his CCNA already. We probably won't be able to keep him long, because he's gonna want out soon to get a networking job... and then we'll have to train someone from scratch again. Too much of a risk to hire him.

Thus, believe it or not, being overcertified can actually hurt your chances of getting a job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Grahamuk2008

Grahamuk2008 New Member

Thanks for the advice bosonmichael and wizard, I understand what your saying but I still intend on continuing the course as I find it very interesting and I won't be finished till about may 2009 anyway. Maybe I should just leave it off my CV for now.

Thanks again :)

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nothing wrong with that... more knowledge is always a good thing. Just remember that you'll have to recertify it in three years... and that means you'll likely have to learn everything all over again.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!