Whats everyone doing right now

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Richie1888, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

Hi Guys

I was just wondering what everyone is working on just now and does anyone have any emerging tech that it might be worth getting others into ? to stay ahead of the curve so to speak

Just a discussion starter really.

Cheers Richie

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Few companies truly work with "emerging tech" unless they're creating the emerging technology themselves. It's too risky. Most companies implement tried-and-true solutions that are known to work.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

ye I see what you mean maybe I worded it wrongly, I just meant certs or training becoming more popular and sought after ?

4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Virtualization seems to be a good thing

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

ye ive bee hearing about that I read a post on a non IT site in an open chat forum talking about the 10 IT jobs and that was top for 2009

whats its uses ?

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Hopefully there will be another FtOCC in the UK that I can get to this year

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

whats this an expo ?

8. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Virtualization will definitely be a huge player in the near future. I was at the MS tech days here in Toronto last week and it was a huge focus.
    I mean you can now have 16 production servers (virtual) running on a single 1U server! The cost savings are HUGE!

The question is which virtualization technology path do you choose. Citrix, VMware, or Hyper V??
    I'll be going with whichever my company goes with.
    Which is looking to be citrix at this point since it's way cheaper than VMware, and more tried and true than Hyper-V.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

Are citrix not the leader in this kind of thing ?

11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Citrix, VMWare and Hyper-V all have there selling points. Citrix have certainly got a fair amount of market share but VMWare also have a decent chunk of the market (largely by offering solutions for free to get people 'on the hook' )

We use VMWare ESX on our current virtual setup and we'll probably stick with it as our organisation is not on the scale necessary to warrant paying for any of the fancy gizmos you can get and ESX costs a big fat pile of nothing.

We did look at Hyper-V but at the time it was largely untested so that kind of made the choice for us (see BM's comment above).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. BosonMichael

The ones that you have experience with. Certification isn't for what you want to be doing; it's for what you can already do.

Never, ever, ever certify on something just because it's the "next big thing". Just my advice.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

lol this swings is until another topic/arguement altogether

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Pardon?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. BosonMichael

No, actually, it's not. You asked what certs are "more popular and sought after". The answer is "The ones that you have experience with." Meaning, although the MCSE is "more popular and sought after", it's not gonna do you any good unless you've got a year of server administration experience.

What I'm saying is, EVEN if you get the MCSE without first having that experience, YOU won't be sought after by employers despite the popularity of the certification.

Thus, the specific answer to your question is different for every single person on this forum. If you pursue any of the "most popular" certifications without regard to the experience level required, you could be doing your career more harm than good.

My point stands.