What's Everybody's Favourite Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Talfwr, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Talfwr

Talfwr Bit Poster

It's as simple as that.
    What laptop you currently use or what would be your most desirable one?
    Would you want it for gaming,
    Preformance,
    Programming,
    or just for looks 8)

I'm doing this because I'm interested in getting a laptop for personal use (both work and play).
    I had my eye on a Alienware one but was unsure.
    I'm into gaming but know that I will require a stable machine in the future. Maybe when I grow up....nah.

WIP: MCSD
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I know a few folks who took back thier alienware laptops unimpressed
    my fave are HP

currently using a HP NC800 with 1024MB of Ram, 1600x1200 display, DVD/CDRW, 64MB Radeon graphics (well old) with 80gb hdd
    its a P4 1.8, not a Pentium M, and the graphics is getting old

looking to upgrade to a HP nw8240, its a Pentium M 2.13, 1024MB DDR 533 memory, 128MB FireGL V5000 PCI Express graphics, WUXGA screen resolution, 80GB 7200RPM drive and DVD+/-RW/CDRW drive, also has Intel PRO ABG wireless, bluetooth and Gigabit LAN, a tad pricey though, saving hard hehe

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Talfwr

Talfwr Bit Poster

Hp, I had one of their 'Package PC's' oh how young I was.
    It kept breaking down on me and luckily the instalation disks that they supplied were easy to use. Kinda left me with a nasty taste in my mouth and wheather or not to trust them again.
    Actually come to think of it because of that old thing and my 486 before, oh what a bute that was, that got me interested in computers...

HP Hmmmm

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

well i would never buy one of thier lame consumer packages, this is a business laptop, and its built to last, my current laptop has dropped from about 4 feet PLENTY of times, no damage as of yet, apart from the battery cover breaking once, fixed that pretty easy

you also have to bear in mind this is HP post compaq merger, meaning half of thier kit (especially business end, servers etc) is Compaq stuff, and compaq stuff is teh daddy (bar poorly branded consumer products, again)

5. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Hi,
    I have always used a 12" Apple ibook, it has been going for more than 3 years now and still manages well. But I needed a XP based laptop for work, so I got a HP NC4000 12" 1.4Ghz Laptop. I always travel with laptops so will always go for size and battery over power. This one has a 5 hour battery life and can fit into a document folder (useful when I am traveling round london and I don't feel like being mugged!)
    I also much prefer HP's over toshiba / sony in general.
    James.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

heh I actually also have two Dell D610 which is a Pentium M 1.6, wireless A/B/G, Bluetooth, 512mb ram, i think only a 14" screen, not entirely sure of the exact specs, they are work laptops and i never went over the EXACT specs, all i know is the intel a/b/g wireless is GREAT for wardriving :D

7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I have a Hi-Grade Ultinote M9000. I wanted something a bit less mainstream, everyone seems to buy from the same handful of manufacturers. I have had it about seven months and have had no problems and am very impressed with it. P4 3.2, 1gig Ram, 15" Wide-screen, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, Toshiba DVD-RW, 80gig HD. Built in wireless and dial-up etc. 4 USB ports. My sister has a Hi-Grade too, and has also had no problems with it. All the LED's are a cool blue, and a very nice touch. If you want something a bit different, I would say from my experience they are well worth a look.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. Talfwr

Talfwr Bit Poster

Interesting, Thoroughly impressed at the varierty we have so far. I suppose it all comes down to user prefrence.

Thanks guy's I'm going to have a look at some places now.

Still interested in what everyone else is running. Anyone else want to express there opinion on laptops?