What's a good book for the 70-291 exam?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by GW, Nov 2, 2007.

1. GW

GW Byte Poster

I got the MS Press book but it seems to be mostly hands-on labs but I'm looking for a good book that will go into details on the subject matter since I know the exam is not going to be all simulations.

I would like to start cramming for this exam, I'm hoping to take it (the first time at least) in about a month/month and a half.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  2. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

For me the best was MsBook and teach-net
    Nico

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Apart from MSPress, the other books that I study with come from Sybex, Syngress & O'reily (one of the 3, not all 3 at once). Then round it off with the examcram books (if I feel it neccessary).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I typically recommend MSPress and Sybex for Microsoft exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that for this exam you have to get the hands on to understand the theory. I used (but haven't sat the exam) the MS Press Academic version of the 291 book, it came with a lab manual that was almost as thick as the book itself! :ohmy

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have to say i needed more books to cover the 291 than anything and still failed the first sit! :)

I used MS Press, the TCP guide, DNS on 2003, my N+ book, e-learning, technet, oh and instructor led training (using Virtual PC) too!

Good luck!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. GW

GW Byte Poster

I heard that the exam had like a 70% failure rate, I'm glad that Microsoft is offering the second shot because $125 is just too rich for my blood at this time. I'm hoping with the instructor I have and with enough books and hands-on labs I'll be able to pass it the first time around so I can start banging my head on the next exam.

I just talked to my school and they are getting new books in today that are heavy on the theory so with that the MS Press book and the Syngress book it'll be enough (for now at least) I'm going to check out a couple of the books above as well. Thansk for the help guys.

GW

8. pvfcpeely

pvfcpeely Bit Poster

im starting revise for this one tonight, got the MS book and the sybex book to be getting on with. May get the exam cram as it's only £13 so could be worth a look.

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT & HNC Business IT
    WIP: MCSA
  9. GW

GW Byte Poster

I picked up a copy of DNS on Windows 2003 Server since it goes into more details than the MS or Syngress book does and I'm using my copy of Mastering Windows 2003 Server since talking to a couple students who just took the 70-291 exam recently the exam is going into much more detail on the topics than what is in the MS and Syngress books. One thing you might want to play around with is the Netsh command for configuring DHCP, the Syngress book doesn't seem to really touch to much on the use of the command for that.

GW