Whatever happened to...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Baba O'Riley, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Freddy Freeloader? :blink

I'm not in love with the guy or anything, but I just noticed he hasn't posted for nearly two months. Anyone seen him around?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

maybe i should not be the one to reply, but just read his last thread http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread10204.html. i think it says it all, for all parties involved.

i'm a lurker over at tech-unity.com, and freddy occasionally has been posting there since he left cf. so if you need to contact him, i assume that's the best place to start.

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The basic problem here is that freddy has a very big biased opinion against M$ and never missed a chance to have a pop at them. After a while it gets on your nerves so in the above referenced thread Jak told him so. Freddy obviously couldn't handle it, got snotty and hasn't been back since.

Here at CF we like to think that we are open for everybody and their respective opinions no matter what OS you prefer. The occasional rant is well tolerated (and who here hasn't complained about M$ in the past) but when it's the same rant over and over again it becomes monotonous very quickly.

Freddy has last been seen at another forum since then where he has administrator status and can run the forum the way he wants. All the best to him.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

If i am thinking of the same forum as your Nugg, Freddy doesn't run it the way he wants, he and the other Admin are asking members for their opoinons aswell... I had a private discussion with Freddy about CF and he has told me his side of the story...

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

guys all the best to him. If he wants to feel like that about MS then let it be. If he doesnt want to post here then thats cool too. We all friends here and we strive to help each other learn. He can admin the forums he wants like he wants. Just for the record im a mod there and we are talking alot about MS and MS certs so the guy just isnt anti-microsoft - he's just a Linux fan from out of space. And good luck to him! :biggrin

i think lets close this thread - mods and admin and get back to what this forum is about, helping each other with studying and workinhg IT -and not carrying on a conversation about a guy that has helped this place alot in his time here.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

why close a thread upon first sight of trouble? just like the other thread today ([edit] which at this moment has been unlocked again). this is a community, we're bound to knock heads from time to time. sweeping it under the rug will not help. still, i agree that talking about someone who isn't here to share his pov anymore, is not nice.

as for freddy, even though we often disagreed on many things, i respect him immensely, and i wish he hadn't left. so there. i sneaked it in. now close this mf.

7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I already saw his last posts and I thought that was pretty much the reason he hasn't been around, I just thought it was a bit sudden and over the top. It's a shame because he did make a valuable contribution to CF.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is that it? I was expecting a full on pub brawl! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And there was I thinking he was too busy in his new job. Oh well, good luck Freddy wherever you post, I certainly miss the old hobo's slant on things :usa

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I just have to laugh at some people's perceptions of me, and why I left here. I thought I'd stop by and take a look since someone PM'ed me on the site I now particpate in and told me about it and set the record straight.

I left here so there wouldn't be a big brouhaha. I'm not about to change my mind about MS's ethics, and if pointing out what they do is a bad thing, well, I guess I'll just continue to do a bad thing. But, as should have been abundantly clear to anyone who read a lot of my posts I have a problem with ALL unethical behavior, not just MS's. So, I left rather than cause a problem on a site on which I have fundamental differences with the management and many of the users. This is a peaceful, useful site in many ways and I had, and have, no desire to be a disruption to it. The newbies get a lot of very useful information here.

I do not now, nor have I ever considered it to be "taking a shot" at someone by telling the obvious truth about them. I always figured that "taking a shot" at someone was knowingly telling half truths just to irritate, put someone down, or maliciously cause them harm. As to hating MS, well, that's pretty funny. I don't hate them, I hate what they do. There's a huge difference.

MS's actions are out in the open for everyone to see. They have shown over the years that they have no scruples whatsoever about indulging in unethical behavior so anyone who wants to trust them is welcome to do so at their own peril. I will not because they have shown no inclination towards being trustworthy. If those of you who dislike my pointing out MS's failings think that just because MS is a business that they should be given a pass on unethical behavior, well, who knows, you may very well be their next victim. If you can't see where DRM is going and MS's history of putting only its own interests first, last, and always, well, you'll get just what you asked for when your OS and your hardware delete your files, report any behavior that MS, Sony, Intel, or any one of quite a few other large corporations, don't like to the the authorities, you will remember that quite a few people warned you and you scoffed because you thought corporate ethics were unimportant.... Once your freedom is gone, you'll play hell getting it back.

So, say what you will, I really don't care. I will stick by my beliefs and the things I think I should stand for. I'm the one who has to live with my conscience.

I won't be back to continue this discussion as to do so would turn it into a "pier 6" brawl, and I have no desire to do that. I wish this site no ill. I'm not angry. I just left you guys to your own devices.

So long, and good luck. And, btw d-Faktor, the feeling is mutual. You're one of the most knowledgeable people I know. We disagree on ethics, that's a given, but despite your protestations you have a streak of honesty in you that is pretty visible. For some reason you just want to deny it exists. If you let that honesty out a little more often and let it get some more exercise, you might really surprise yourself.... :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks for taking the time to post here again Freddy. As far as I am concerned, you are entitled to voice your opinions here or anywhere else. You have a talent for expressing yourself and your contributions to this site will be sadly missed by me and all of the other staff.

Oh and just for the record, I also think a lot of what Microsoft gets up to sucks big time. On the other hand, I do like playing with my Media Centre, and notepad has always been a great little app, so some things they produce are really good :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

hahaha, freddy, only you could take this opportunity to poke at microsoft again, you sneaky old bastard. :clap

in any case, i fully understand your sentiment for leaving certforums. it is exactly the same reason, or at least one of several, why i resigned as a mod at tech-unity.com and left. the thing is, you left quite abruptly, and although i'm sure you talked to some people via pm, the general certforums populace had no clue. hence the speculation, including mine.

anyway, in the mean time i found your new site, techexams.co.uk (not sure why everybody carefully avoids dropping the name here), and it looks great. you've got another lurker.
    best of luck, freddy. let's not be strangers. :alc

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just want to echo Bluerinse' statment! :thumbleft