What would you do

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, Jun 19, 2011.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys really need some views on this. Took a job that is a 12 month contract (contract is with the company so get holiday etc but got it through an agency) going permanent after the 12 months. The problem is they have restricted my access in 2nd line so I can't do any network administration and only have read access on servers. This has really cheesed me off as I needed to update a print driver and had to pass to 3rd line which embarrassed the hell out of me. I've asked for my access to be opened up but been told in the past it's been refused by 3rd line. My train of thought is if you don't use it you loose it with knowledge and the fact I've spent a lot of time and money on server side certs.

Yesterday I was offered the chance of a permanent job in a sector I have a lot of experience in (more money as well but that isn't my focus) and a job more suited to me through an agency I have a good relationship with.

Should I go for it or stay put and at least do the 12 months and then look? I sort of feel duty bound to stay even though the job is too simplistic.

Any thoughts?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

It depends entirely on your job role/specification.

If you cannot realistically perform your job without a monkey on your back where you are now then complain about it first and see if they resolve the issue for you - you can always leave for the other job...

However if the role you accepted is the role you are doing and the annoyances are just actually frustrations then it's a grey area... I would chat to your manager/HR dept and get in concrete what you can/cannot do and what your expectations are, it's in both yours and the company's interest to get it out in the open afterall.

Good luck either way, I know how frustrating it can be to try and just do your job and be hindered by arbitrary restrictions.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

Are your certs current?
    Do the third line guys know that you have them?
    They may well not appreciate that you know what you are doing, and have the pieces of paper to back it up - if you can prove yourself they may be willing to give a little?

I would try that avenue and also make your line manager more aware of the issues. Depending on your relationship could you let him know of the other job offer?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
    Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It the other job temp or perm?

I've got mixed views.
    You could just turn around and say 'well, if you want me to pass all this stuff on to thrid line I will - why should I get upset about work I don't have to do?'

With time, I'm sure they'll realise that it isn't an efficient use of your talents. Wait for a really busy day then go and ask them to update some drivers, unless of course they want you to do it... 8)

Personally, I'd go with honesty.
    Tell your current employer exactly what you said here. Tell them you're finding it frustrating and if they don't want to give you the opportunity to work at a higher level then there is someone else who will.

You can't fail really...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Only thing I've got to add is that their 3rd line must be insane! If 2LS wanna take over the print swaps and issues I'd be biting their hand off. Why don't you ask your manager if your place has a 3-2-1 scheme in place where 3rd line, as supposedly the most expensive resource, passes work down the chain, and you pass work to 1LS / Service Desk. Its good for everyone involved IMHO.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like this is the best option mate.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. michael78

Cheers all for the replies. I should of pointed out I look after the North East for the company on my own and the bulk of IT are based down south. Reason it's a pain is first and foremost it's stuff I should be doing and second as I'm on my own I have to rely on others to finish jobs off. I'm just worried if I stop doing server work then you forget knowledge and might be doing harm long term.

To UncleBeard all my certs are current. I've only been at the company 2 months but after 8 years do I really want to go backwards in terms of the work I'm doing when I should be going forward. At my interview they said if you have the skills then they open up more access. From what I gather there is a big resistance to this in 3rd line. All the work I'm doing is just not taxing at all. Ahh crap why can't I just get a job with a company who gets the most out of me and I can progress my skills with. Hate letting people down but at the expense of my long term career. The worst part is I'm doing my VCP at the end of the year and won't even get near the servers.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  8. michael78

They won't mate as it seems a case of everyone keeping work to themselves as I get the impression it's a case of job preservation. Which in IT I can understand but doesn't help.

9. michael78

Sparky that's what my wife says as well mate. Might just go along to see about the job. Suppose I could always say no if I got it. Possibly time to think about my career.

10. JK2447

I'd move on if I could then mate because to be blunt, if your 3rd line is doing that they are probably over paid and under worked which isn't a good combination believe me I've been there myself. The Wintel team I'm on now is so chocka there's more ovies than be done, on call coming out of our ears for multiple accounts, hundred tickets unassigned and hundreds assigned. Its pretty nuts but we are as safe as anyone can be, the days fly by, we get the best training and were desperate to pass work to second line. We even offer to have them work in our office for a few weeks so they fully understand what we are trying to pass down the chain. Thats how it should be in my humble opinion.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  11. michael78

Too right mate that is how an IT team should work. Got to be honest I was pretty stunned when I tried to update a printer driver settings and was told Computer says no. Will see how I go with this job as I didn't go looking for a get out but was approached so it can't do any harm and if it doesn't come off then I will stick to my original plan and do the 12 months and politely turn down the position unless things turn around.

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

This is why I can't stand working in larger organisations. There's only one other guy that works with me - and he's fantastic - so firstly, I know **** gets done properly, and secondly, there's nowhere to hide if you nause something up. All this 'pass it up the chain' crap is pathetic - I've never seen that work properly anywhere.

Personally, I'd leave in a heartbeat if I ended up at a place like that. Either they trust you, or they don't.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. JK2447

Thats pretty lame. Our 2LS can do all stuff like that, mess with DFS, even help with migrations from one domain to another. Time to leave mate before you go rusty as you say.

I like the sound of your workplace Zeb but the only downside is you really really have to know your stuff the less of you there are. I think thats great and you're obviously at that level, I'm not yet but one day........ right now I'm enjoying the backup of having 10 of us :)

14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Looks like it's time to look else where:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I worked for a while in a Banking environment, and as far as rights go, it was a step down from my previous job where I was domain admin/enterprise admin doing a broad range of activities, and then could no longer do some tasks which required assistance from a colleague.

It was a somewhat rude awakening, but with time I was given the possibility to request the necessary rights without supervision, the system just logged how long I used the account and when.

I agree with Zebulebu, it sometimes gets crazy in large companies, occasionally a necessary evil of delegation due to the number of systems which need to be managed.

It sounds to me like you need to take the other job. But if you like your current employer, how about inviting 3rd level out for a few drinks so that they get to know you better. Communication is key to increasing your visibility. They may not even know that you're capable of doing x, y or z, and you need to let them pick your brain over a few brews in order to get a favorable image of you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, I will make it simple, for you.

Move onto the new job.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  17. michael78

Would do mate but they are 300 miles down south lol

18. michael78

Cheers all going to put myself forward for the job and see how it goes.

19. michael78

I like simple mate lol, cheers Craigie going to go for it mate.

20. JK2447

Ace! I'll also make it simple, give me ten great british pounds :)