What will salaries be like after a number of years

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by se99paj, Jun 2, 2006.

1. se99paj

se99paj New Member

I've seen a number of people on this website asking about starting salaries and things like that, from what I have read here the starting salaries aren't amazing. But I would like to know how does the salary increase rapidly over a short period of time, or does it take 5 years to get an extra £1000 on your salary.

I realise that this is only a general question, as some people may have had very quick increases in their salary whilst others may be on the same salary after 10 years. Also this is dependant on how much the person pulls their finger out and does some work so that they can get a payrise.

Its just I went down to Cerco a few months ago (To do their assessment exam, but the cost is a bit much for me so I'm going self taught) and they said that I would be on a salary less than I am on now but it would only take 1-2 years before I was earning more (I'm on 23k pa now).

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that in a way you have answered your own question! It all depends on the individual and the organisation that they work for.

I'm currently earning slightly less than I was five years ago, but that is through choice and changes in personal circumstances. However I have a lot more skills now than I had then, so ultimately it all comes down to the individual, and what they want out of their career. Huge salaries? Or job satisfaction?

8)

3. mlota

mlota New Member

Yes I agree. I think to a large degree this depends on your long term goals. I started out on a graduate wage when I left uni and in the space of 2 years I've doubled my earnings, and along the way picked up a lot of experience in web development. Now I'm at the stage where the money is no longer an issue and I would simply like to pursue a career where I can further develop my skills

Certifications: (BA:Hons) Multimedia Graphics
    WIP: MCSD
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, in my first "proper" IT job, we were actually capped at how much we could earn. But as soon as we achieved a professional cert our pay could go up the pay scales. So in that way, that's just an example of it being down to an organisation.

Dependant on the individual... Again yes, I went up quite a lot in the year I left my previous job and took up my current post. I did this for both the salary and the job satisfaction.

That's just an example of a snip of my life.

However I do know other people in the IT world, they have roughtly the same IT Pro certs as me and are still on £12,000 to £15,000. So it isn't the same for everyone. It's not set in stone. What might take 1 person 2 years to do, may take another person 10 years to do.

True, true... You don't know how many people complain about their job, salary's, etc... but aren't bother to develop their skills, achieve certification or even open up the local/national paper to see if the job vancanies.

-Ken :D

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security