What type of ram to go for ...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modey, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hey all

I'm speccing up a high performance PC for one of the departments at work and was looking to use the Abit AW8 MAX motherboard. Seems like a pretty good one to me.

In terms of the ram I should get, what's the best stuff to get? I know corsair is supposed to be fast stuff but there are so many different types and speed ratings now it's a little bewildering which to go for. The system will only need 1GB, so do I go for a matched 512MB pair, or a single 1GB? The mobo supports DDR2, is that the best to go for? Or is there faster regular ram?

This stick from Scan seems fairly uber, is it the best to stick in that mobo ya think?

Any advice from you overclocking nutters would be appreciated as I'm sure you know all the l33test ram out there very well. When making my own PC's I have never been able to afford top end components, so I have never bothered reading up on them, so I'm a n00b when it comes to this area.

Thanks.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I don't know this particular board, but if it uses dual channel memory then you need two matched sticks rather than one to get the best from it.

Otherwise get the correct memory for the motherboard!

Getting 'better' memory just won't do much for performance.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Having looked this motherboard up I see it is indeed dual channel. So get a matched pair of memory sticks.

You say this is for a company. I see no point in overclocking a company PC - if you want more performance get a better system rather than making a production machine potentialy unstable!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Like Harry I wouldnt recommend overclocking a machine thats meant for work purposes...the stability and all that would be catastrophic...if at all it will work...but yeah go for a matched pair of RAM sticks...personally I would have used a single 1GB stick...but thats me...:biggrin...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the info. I never intended to overclock the PC, I was just asking advice from the overclocking crowd as I guess they'd be the ones buying the top end ram etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well funny u mention that...I overclocked my AMD Athlon 2500XP (1.09GHz) to a 3200XP (2.2GHz) and its brilliant :biggrin...however I purchased a new 1GB 400DDR RAM and it arrived yesterday...put it in my machine and it wouldnt recognise it...I took out my two 512MB and left the 1GB...turned on again and there was a long beep...nothing happening on screen...tried another slot...no change...so realised it was probs faulty...however when I looked at the specs of my mobo on the MSI website...I noticed it said 1GB 128 x4 will not work on this motherboard. I checked the specs of the RAM again and sure enough it was 128 x4 (low density!!) so I checked for other RAM that had over x8 (high density) the highest I could find was x64...so I have returned the current 1GB back to the seller (in the US!!) and have written a note that I want an exchange for one that is x8 or higher. so here's hoping when I get the replacement it will work fine...:biggrin...apologies for hijacking post...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life