What training materials these days?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok so back in the MCSE 2003 days it was MS Press books, lab repeat until I finally passed the 70-297 to get MCSE certified. :)

Some of the MS Press books seem to be out of date and just don’t seem to be as good a read as what they were previously.

Looking at other materials I didn’t even realise Trancender were now Kaplan and CBT seems to be subscription based.

So what is everyone using these days? Training vids, books, technet?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

At uni we have Lynda.com which for us is free. I tend not to be able to focus on one particular area as my role is very varied. However I will do stuff with Udemy, if you log on to them there are a lot of free courses. Theres a great Kali Linux one which was free. I use you tube a bit as well

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

In random order:

Pluralsight
    CBT nuggets
    Technet, yt, blogs - if there's a topic I want to know better I use whatever I find
    Hands on labs, ms virtual academy

Would love to have a bookshelf full of books (and time to read) but cert books seem rather expensive. Can't comment on quality, last one I bought was for windows 7...

4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Only CBTs for me now are Plurasight because work gives us unlimited access. Oh and I occasionally buy Udemy courses when on offer.
    I buy books based on Amazon reviews to be honest, and I'm buying less than I used to. I did love buying the huge 4 book set of MS books back in the day though, I felt smarter just having them on my desk ha ha

I haven't bought any practice exams in ages so wouldn't even know where to begin, likely buying from the vendor if they did them. Boson I hear are very good though

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I dont really go for certs, Im interested in doing a uni degree right now.. my main learning tools are edx, udemy and pluralsight.

6. Sparky

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

From looking at the site this appears to be the case.. this type of offering isnt really that uncommon tbh. I guess it depends how good their material is.

8. Sparky

9. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

For Microsoft exams:
    Press Book - This is mainly to get a loose hold on the objectives
    Technet - I don't know what technet was like back in the day, but technet is really all you need for any MS exam now. Everything is there.
    MeasureUp - I do use these, but I don't know how helpful they really are. They get you used to the exam format.. sort of, and might give you a couple of extra points in the exam. They can also throw you off, by testing on really extraneous information that definitely won't be in the exam