What to expect on 70-270

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by mcnooblet, May 8, 2007.

1. mcnooblet

mcnooblet New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I'm working on getting my MCSE. I plan on taking the 70-270 exam in the next couple weeks and I was wondering what should I expect, as well as what are some quality study materials. I want to avoid feeling overwhelmed if I possibly can :eek:

I want to get the certs the right way, so please don't suggest any brain dumps.

Thanks!

mcnooblet

Certifications: 70-270
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF!

You've come to the right place for looking to get certs the right way. NO BRAINDUMPS HERE! (Bolded and CAP's for extra emphasis for anyone who's looking for them!)

The best place to start would be to look at the objectives on the MS site.

Next I would be wanting to have a good play around with XP maikng sure I knew what I was doing with it. Quite often a 'non-exam' book helps me at this stage something like Windows XP in a Nutshell (Big fan of the nutshell books).

I would then follow that up with either the MS Press book for 270 or the Sybex Book. Possibly even both depending on how I felt the material was inking in.

After reading the study guide and doing the labs in it I would take a look at the Transcender practice exams. These are well written and have great explanations. Some would say that they are even harder than the real things!

For some last minute swatting I would suggest the cramsession study guide.

HTH. 8)

3. mcnooblet

mcnooblet New Member

Thanks for the advice. Luckily my employer has the MS Press book on hand so I can start there. Also, there's an ExamCram book and I was wondering how good are those books? Are they better for a quick refresher after reading the MS Press books?

4. SamSixty

SamSixty Bit Poster

Not sure about the exam cram books but I am using the 70-270 self paced training kit and I think its excellent, the CD-ROM that comes with it is great too for revision, and at the end of each chapter is a lesson review, I go back to those for revision too.

5. mcnooblet

mcnooblet New Member

Well, I'm booked to take the exam next week on the 8th. I've done really well on the practice exams and study guides, but I still feel a little nervous. Wish me luck!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Kick some butt!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. mcnooblet

mcnooblet New Member

Well, I have 2 days before I take the exam, and I'm already feeling the anxiety. Does anyone have any tips to get mentally prepared for the exam?

9. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Good luck buddy !!

I'm in exactly the same position and also hope to take it soon, i keep getting way layed though.

:D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  10. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Having recently done the 70-270 i would say that the transcender exams are considerably harder than the actual exam.

The main difference is that the transcender will put a question into 3 paragraphs wheras the exam will only use a single paragrah.

If you can do the transcenders mock exams and get something like 55%+ then go for the exam you stand a good chance.

Also i would strongly recommend xxxxxxxxxxx as another source of information.
    (Now im ready to accept punishment if you consider these to be brain dumps, however i dont learn them word for word. I look at the question, read the answers, work out which i think is correct and then check to see if im right - Which is technically the same as doing a transcender and checking as you go)

Oh another excellent thing would be the Test Outs

These have great explanations that are spoken to you, nice little practical exercises, mini tests on each chapter and mock exams that you can do. Nice little helping hand her

Edit: removed braindump supplier name. N

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  11. BosonMichael

Doesn't matter if we "consider" them to be braindumps... they ARE braindumps, and can get you decertified if you use them, regardless of how you use them: link from Microsoft

Go ahead and use them at your career's peril.

In addition, using them is no different than stealing a professor's final exam from his or her desk. Regardless of how you use it, you are studying to the exact exam, which enables you to be able to pass before you're truly ready to hold the credential. And that's why Microsoft's cracking down on offenders.

Finally, CertForums doesn't allow the condoning of braindumps in any way, shape, form, or fashion. We don't want to see that sort of stuff here.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. mcnooblet

mcnooblet New Member

I've been using the Ucertify and Microsoft Readiness Review Suite, and I've found that the MRRS is much more difficult than the Ucertify practice exams. How close/more difficult are the MRRS compared to the actual exam?

13. BosonMichael

There's a reason why Ucertify is less difficult. But I'd rather have someone who is much less biased than myself give their opinion of why that is.

14. mcnooblet

mcnooblet New Member

Well, I just got back from the testing site, and I passed with a 826! It feels so good to get that out of the way, and even better knowing that I did it the right way. I'd like to thank everyone for the advice and words of encouragment, and rounds are on me!! :alc

15. sebstah

sebstah Nibble Poster

well done mcnooblet.. good score as well.

feels good to get that pass the right way, i dont see any need to use the dumps when well prepared.
    we all here take air-mail beer here :)

Certifications: A+,70-270,70-290
    WIP: 70-620
  16. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations! Well done.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  17. BosonMichael

Congrats!