What to do!!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

Currently still studying Linux+ (Thanks for the help so far everyone, plus special shout out to Trip for the questions!)

But I am looking at finishing it and passing real soon, so am looking at what to do next and shall probably push myself for an MCSA in 2003. However... all the requirements say * months experience etc etc.

For most people this is not too much of a problem because their work has a decent setup, but for me I am with a Novell Netware network, which means I have no ground to start with...

I am most interested in Exchange (I have no idea why) which I would try after the MCSA bits are done. So, is it "do-able" without the requisite experience, and when I come to leave where I am (Pretty soonish) are people going to value it when I have no practical experience?!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well since you work in a Novell environment, you could try a Novell Linux cert:

http://www.novell.com/training/news/certcities.html

Just kidding. Most people seem pretty hot on Microsoft and tend not to see working with Novell as a primary goal. Working in a Microsoft environment while studying for your MCSA would be good but you don't currently have that option. Unless you are going to try to change jobs, you might just have to start out studying on your own and seeing what turns up.

Don't worry. Someone else will be along presently to suggest a more practical solution. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Thanks for that!

I agree with what it is saying, but where I am they are not going to upgrade to Novell Linux for years (They are still having trouble with Netware 6.5) so I am stuck with Windows desktops and Novell servers... I want to go up in my career, which for me means studying servers, which will either be Linux or Windows, I am happy with studying both, but where I am I have neither!!

I am currently looking for a job in London, as I am closeish, which pays ok and gives me the opportunity to go up...!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots