What to do?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dpatel, Mar 29, 2009.

1. dpatel

dpatel New Member

I have currently found myself unemployed after job cuts and i am now wanting to get into IT as think it is a stable career(IT is always going to be needed). I graduated in 2005 with a degree in Multimedia & Internet Technology and also have a HND in Software Development. But after i graduated i got in sales/retail roles leading to management and do not have any IT experience.

I am now wondering what role would what suit me?

I do know that i dont like high level programming and never have. I would like to get into a something were i am dealing with people every day and something were progress through the salary band, i guess it comes from my past employment.

I am basically posting this thread to get ideas and views of people who are in roles they enjoy and possible have come from a similar background.

Can anybody help??

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Very similar to your other post here apart from this:

I started off from a customer service related background and my first few certs where in programming (C&G's, NVQ & even my degree) however couldn't get into that field so fell into the support field of IT.

I have to say that I enjoy the support field and wouldn't swap it, I have climbed thru the ranks (so to say) but that's due to continous training/CPD, planning, hard work & making sure that I pick/go for the right employers/jobs (not tasks, but posts). It's not easy, infact it is very, very hard.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dpatel

dpatel New Member

would the A+ get me into my entry level role or would i need to do network+ and possible something higher than that.

I am swaying towards the support roles more than any others! I am just trying to get different ideas from people who already do them jobs

cheers ken for the advice.

4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The 3 main certs that we recommend here for level/tier 1 (and even higher as there's always more to learn) are the A+, network+ & the MCDST. Recently I have also started to say the MCTS 70-620 for Vista and the MCAS 77-600 for Vista. But nothing higher, as the higher level professional certifications are there to reflect your job role and responsibilities and not to be used as a subsitute for experience.

No cert/qual will or can guarantee you a position/job in IT, however they will assist you. Even before you complete all or one of these certs, continue to send out your CV/resume.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

You sound like me 5/6 years ago there mate.

So what I'd suggest other than directly applying for roles in IT that appeal to you is to try another tact....try getting a different role within a technology area...then work hard, show a lot of interest in the more technical side and then start applying internally (you may get a fair amount of KB's, but war of attrition is the key here). This is exactly how I did it.....I applied for an Executive Assistant to a Senior manager within my companies Technology area (basically a jumped up PA position) and within 6 months I impressed enough people to let me try my hand at some technical 2nd level stuff.....and from there I've progressed slowly but surely.....now doing my exams to aid in my technical journey (sorry if that sounds cheesy)......

I too could never see myself programming...nothing would put me to sleep quicker !!! But there are a lot of varied roles in IT and things are always on the move....so with even a mild interest, you are bound to find something that floats your boat.

Try Support first......if you want to get qaulifications in tandem, say MCSA/SE then windows support area would be a good place to start......even if it's help desk, with the exam progression, you'll soon move on.

Lastly, don't make the mistake of jumping ship too often....as before long your CV could be a mess and savvy employers will dismiss you as a risk not worth taking.....make sure you give a new role a chance, and decide it is the work you don't like rather than the people.......if it's people, they do come and go......I'm in a people problem situation myself !!

Good luck !

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You could go for a helpdesk role as people skills are important in that kinda role and as you have worked in retail that should be no problem for you.

From there you can move into a more technical role in time.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs