What to do?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Sepher, May 9, 2008.

1. Sepher

Sepher Bit Poster

Hi all,

Im currently going to get paid to do a course in IT... this can be A+, N+, S+, or CCNA, CCNP, MCSE, MCSA etc etc.

Well after reading through the forums Ive decided to start from the bottom. I dont have any IT experience working wise, but I have lots of personal experience from using computers at home etc. Ive had a short look at the A+ and I'm pretty sure I know alot of it on there, but I would still like the qualification to say I can do it.

Well seeing as Im getting paid to do the course, I dont want to waste it on something I mostly already know. So would it be a good idea to do a Network + course while self studying the A+ course? Well not at the same time, but basically would I better off using my free course on the Network + and self studying for the A+ and paying for just the A+ exams?

I would like to work in Networking mainly, and I was aiming to get the A+, N+ and CCNA and if possible an MCSE. Of course the CCNA and MCSE would be a later date, after I've spent a few years working in IT sector with my A+ and N+ qualification.

Do you think it would matter, that I have done the Networking + before the A+ if I did decide to do it this way? I would be looking out for a job as soon as Ive started the course as well.

Thanks!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MCTS Windows 7
    WIP: CompTIA Security+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Who's paying for the course? If it's truly a freebie, then take whatever you feel would be most beneficial to you. You very well may know most of the stuff presented in the A+. Pick up the A+ All-in-One Sixth Edition by Meyers and see if you could reasonably study that on your own. For that matter, pick up the Sybex Network+ book by Groth and do the same.

You don't have to do the certifications in any particular order. Most people do the A+ first, but you could do the Network+ first if you wish.

Good idea holding off on the CCNA and MCSE... you have obviously done your research regarding the proper way to break into IT. The only other certification that might do you good early in your career is the MCDST. When do you have to take your course? Maybe that could be your freebie.

Now, if an employer were offering me a freebie, I would tell them to save their money and allow me to self-study for the certification. If they want to show me appreciation for saving them money, they can pay me a bonus of half of what they would have paid for the course. You get certified... you get a bonus... they pay half of what they would have paid... everyone wins.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

As BM said if your not sure if you know the A+ material buy the Mike Meyers book and have a read through before you make your decision.
    I have done a lot of home computing and fixing as i go mine and other folks computers, I dont consider myself to have a wealth of knowledge, other people do because they have less knowledge than me, what i mean is you want to know if you already have the A+ knowledge, buy the book and use it as a comparison because thats the standard. My guess would be that you will find the things you do know are expanded upon and there will be grey areas in your knowledge that are answered in the book, thats how i find it anyway.
    You wont lose out buying the book because you will either learn a lot or have a great study guide

WIP: A+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What BM said

Good luck:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Sepher

Sepher Bit Poster

I am actually unemployed and getting paid to do it through job centre so Im not sure the last bit would work. But its a good idea :biggrin

I dont think I could self study myself for the Network + as its abit past my depth.

I think what Markyboyt said....
    is true for the A+, so I think I could self study for that as it would be more familier stuff to me. I did not know about MCDST, so I might add that into a future aim.

So do you think it will look odd that my N+ came before my A+? And would I be open to a kind of field role if I had N+ qualification. As thats the kind of job I would prefer to do.

Thanks for the advice!

6. greenbrucelee

It doesn't matter which order the certs come in but it is usually A+ first.

You probably wont get into a networking job straight away (but it could happen) most people start of on a help desk and then move on.

If would like to a bit of everything in a job have a look for a job working with other IT techs in a small company (500 employees, thats what I am doing although occasionally). I rebooted my first server the other day and farted around with cat6 cables etc.

Good luck

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, it matters in the sense that what you learn first should lay the foundation for what comes next...kind of like learning how to crawl before walking and running. For instance, if you want to learn networking, learning the material that maps to the Network+ exam should come before more advanced networking material such as the CCNA and CCNP coursework.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. greenbrucelee

all I was meaning is that it can be done in any order for the entry level certs but it usually A+ first because it lays the foundations for the rest of them.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications do not make you qualified to hold a certain job. Only experience can do that. All certifications do is to indicate that you hold a certain level of theoretical knowledge about a technology. Certifications can set you ahead of your competition, provided experience levels are the same.

Can you get an entry-level field service tech job with the N+? Yes. Can you get one without the N+? YES. Can you get an advanced networking job with the N+? Not without experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Sepher

Sepher Bit Poster

Thanks for all your replies and opinions. Ive had a look on some A+ practice exams and A+ practice questions from that site thats widely known around here, proprofs? I cant remember what its called now haha. Anyway there are some in depth things in there, and some things I dont no about (laser printers!).

So from reading people's opinions I think I will do the A+ as my freebie and save up and do my network + after. I will definiatly buy the books to help me tho :thumbleft

The main reason, is as people have said it will build foundations for things to come and I guess it'll make more sense if I do it in order. Its like reading book two first instead of book one in a trilogy I guess :p

Thanks again!