What to do next?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by elli5on, Jun 18, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, just a quick general question really. After i have finished my A+ and N+. I just wondered which would be the best step to take to further my career into IT??

I wouldn't mind doing MCSE 2003. however im not entirely sure what CCNA is??? I have seen on a few jobs i have seen (whilst browsing the net). That companies ask for this qualification.

Cheers folks

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

My suggestion would be to start off with an MCP, In either XP or the two MCDST MCP's. Check out Microsoft for more info.

8)

3. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

As for CCNA, it simply is Cisco Certified Network Associate, and is a nice (somewhat) entry-level cert, particularly in terms of networking with Cisco equipment. However, though it will somewhat resemble the Network+ in many respects, the knowledge is much deeper, and more specific. Currently, I believe they've got the exams in 2 parts, the Intro (which looks like Net+ with some IOS), and the ICND, which delves into advanced routing protocols, switching, and more IOS administration.

While it may appear to be only for network professionals, in today's workforce it's nice to show a future employer that you understand disciplines outside of your wheelhouse. Additionally, it shows a current employer your desire to expand your skillset, and possibly graduate to a different area or level. Lastly, it's the best start to a career in networking, since the market is flooded with Cisco equipment.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  4. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I'm looking at either MCSE or CCNA deffinately, Im leaning more towards MCSE currently. Its just im headed towards the finish of A+ hardware section within my course. Still have A+ OS to finish yet though.

Shall see what happens.

Craig

Cheers for your input guys.

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Chaps,

Just chucking my own two penneth experiences into the mix.

A couple of years ago I was a system admin for a large government organistation, then quit due to downsizing, and decided to do my MCSE.

I bought all the Microsoft MCSE core 4 books (70-290,291, 293 and 294) and sybex 70-270. My plan was to take the MCSE, so I picked up the 70-270 and started reading.

Two weeks later after finding the material difficult to digest, I decided to do the A+ first, bought the book, read it and a couple of months later was A+ certified. (Not just mentally certified :) )

So, I go back to the 70-270 and try again, Finally pass it, some 8 months after first starting it.

So, I pick up the 70-290 and start that.......... well basically did the same here, and went for the N+ after a few weeks of studying for the 70-290. so almost 18 months down the line instead of being an MCSE im A+, N+ and and MCP. 2 Things i'd never planned on and a major lack of something I set out to do.

I think what I'm trying to say is DO NOT set goals too high. Instead of going for the MCSE to start with, I know it would have been best if I'd have been more realistic and gone for the MCSA instead of biting off almost 7 Microsoft exams that all seem harder than the one previous. And when all is said and done, you can always upgrade from MCSA to MCSE at a later date anyway.

Sorry if it doesn't help guys, just thought it was worth a mention. :thumbleft

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I totally agree... and i hope you dont see it we picking on you. More than 90% of people looking at certs stare straight at the MCSE (i did and looks like Luddym did too...) Forgot it being hard lets say you get it...you start applying for sys admin jobs and get turned down because no experience... you try 1st line support and they might turn round and say over qualified (it happened to someone on CF - just remember who it was! :oops: )... you have your basic knowledge now go for the MCDST IMO, then hit 70-270 as that exam is just topics being carried forward from MCDST expect onto a much harder level. That leaves you with 290 and 291 (which is actually the hardest of the lot) by that time hopefully you will have a job and getting hands on in some areas and know what the books are teaching you...and become MCSA then look at MCSE.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

what certification is 70_270???

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

70-270 is an MCP for Windows XP:
    Look here for more info... 8)

9. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

That does look the best option for me actually, How much does it cost? And wheres the best place to get it from??

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

It a MS exam mate.. just one exam - not much use on its own.. i think you better off looking at MCDST now and when you done that 70-270 will be used for the MCSA certification.