What to do next. Looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dave_gray2077, Sep 12, 2009.

1. dave_gray2077

dave_gray2077 Bit Poster

I don’t post much on this site but I do lurk a bit. Quite a few people seem to have a lot of IT experience so I’m looking for a little advice on what to do next.

If just finished a foundation degree in computing (networking) with this course I was able to attend a Cisco network academy. I have just passed my CCNA.

My current CCNA does not mean much as I only have 3 months on the job training which I did 6 months ago. So not much experience to back up the year of being a network engineer that the CCNA is supposed to represent.

Iv just enrolled on the final year of a BSc to top up my degree.

There is a big how ever.

At my current job I work full time nights on a 1st line service desk. Due to the volume of work I have almost 8 hours of down time every night to do my own thing.

I want to use this time constructively so im wondering what certs or qualification to do along with my degree.
    I was looking at ITIL foundation or MCDST to back up my 3 years experience of providing 1st line support or start my MSCA with Exam 70-270.
    I’m well aware that the CCNA will not help me get a job and that the only way into networking seems to be through server engineer first. But I had a free shoot at the exam so I didn’t see the harm in having ago.

So what does the voice of experience recon I should do while I have this job. I’m just never going to have an other job where I get paid to set about for 8 hours a night so I want to make the most of it while I can.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA, Fd Degree, BSC (hon).
    WIP: MCDST
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I say MCDST and then MCSA with MCDST as electives but im just a noob

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A+, Network+, MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. dave_gray2077

dave_gray2077 Bit Poster

I was wondering about the network+ and A+ plus.

With reagrd to the A+ wont my degree in computing trump the A+. Although quite a few people where i work do have it. It it held in high regard among IT reqruitment as a foundation to build on?

To me A+ seems like a bit of a back track.

Since I have passed CCNA and a degree in networking i assume N+ sould give me no problems at all.

Edit to add.

When i started my degree CCNA was sold as an entry level qualification. Since reading this forum I now know it is not. Why do Universities etc sell such course this way?

On the bright side my Net Academy was part of a .gov grant so I haven’t lost out my self how ever I do feel I may have wasted quite a bit of time on such an endeavour.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why would it? Two different things entirely. One shows that you can complete an extended program of study. The other shows that you know how to support PCs.

It can certainly make you look more attractive to employers.

Keep in mind that certifications are designed to show employers what you can ALREADY do... not what you want to be doing.

Don't be too overconfident - give it due respect and at least skim the study guide for any new concepts. That said, it shouldn't be too difficult for you.

Because most of them simply don't know any better.

Eh, if you learned stuff, it's not a waste. But you probably won't be needing the CCNA on your CV for a while yet. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. dave_gray2077

dave_gray2077 Bit Poster

Got an A+ book of a friend this morning.

Going to start it next week.

Thanks for explaining all that BosonMichael.