What to do after A+ ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ay5000, Jul 9, 2007.

1. ay5000

ay5000 Bit Poster

I hope to settle my mind on a path of certifications and work my way through them each one after the other, I need to know what to work towards after completing the A+ I've started. I know it should be one step at a time, but looking ahead is a source of motivation for me and I am afraid of ever losing the motivation!

My ideal aim is to become a network admin and/or obtain a 2nd/3rd line job, hopefully with a focus on security -- and failing that I want to purely on a personal level obtain the skills and knowledge of looking after servers and large networks as this fascinates me anyway.

I have a lot of real-life professional hardware/technical experience and I hope that will assist in passing the A+. My knowledge on networks on a whole isn't so strong however.

Please advise me on a "certification" path, basing your advice on either my aims or what you think would be better :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, ACDT & ACPT
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you currently have a real-world IT job?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, the Network+ cert seems the next logical step. Beyond that, there are any number of directions you can go in and no one will be able to map out the possibilities for you. I am going to post a number of links that might help you get at least a partial look at those possibilities:

http://searchnetworking.techtarget....gebaseAnswer/0,289625,sid7_gci1237933,00.html

http://www.sun.com/training/certification/solaris/scna.xml

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html

http://www.cwnp.com/certifications/index.html

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.mspx

That should give you plenty to think about. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ay5000

ay5000 Bit Poster

Yeah, currently in a contract as a help desk adviser in a Windows environment, we have a user base of over 7000 users. I am just going to temp for the time being whilst I get my certs and try to get an ideal permanent job -- I am actually more interested in working overseas, perhaps the Middle East or the Far East, but for now it's temping and gaining more experience.

5. BosonMichael

Network+ would be a good start for you. Afterwards, the MCDST can help you become a better desktop support tech, and might give you the boost you need to get to the next level. You could also choose to skip the MCDST and go for your MCSA/MCSE... it's up to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. ay5000

ay5000 Bit Poster

How good is the Linux+ cert for trying to break in to the UNIX/LINUX job roles? I have been a long time user/admirer of Linux and hope to do the Linux+ cert at some stage, if I can fit it in.

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO Linux+ is not well-enough known and regarded yet in the UK, which detracts from it's value a bit. But studying and passing it would be beneficial as it would give you a structured intro to Linux.

I treated the ECSD is much the same way - nobody at work was interested, but it gave me a good overview of Office, rather than the ad-hoc way I had been proceeding.

You might want to investigate the LPI certs for Linux as well.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. BosonMichael

Couldn't hurt. :)

9. ay5000

ay5000 Bit Poster

Harry could you please elaborate about the LPI certs, any info on them in this forum? (I couldn't find any, but then again I'm always useless with forum searches)

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Here is a pretty good discussion on the relative merits of Linux+ and LPI.

And here is the LPI web site.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. ay5000

ay5000 Bit Poster

Thanks, will research in to this in due course.