what to buy: plasma or LCD TV

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by thetokyoproject, Jan 15, 2009.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

ok, so i;ve not owned a tv for years now. my dad asked me which large screen tv to buy?

now i used to think that some years back, LCD was the way to go because someone said that plasma was lower in picture quality? (i never quite understood this esp if the screen size and resolutions were the same)

now seeing many plasma and LCD tvs of the same size and resolution, which one is better or does the technology not matter as long as the resolution for either is the same for the same screen size.

so which would you buy?

thanks.

Certifications: 271
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You may want to check out this site, it breaks down the LCD vs Plasma into sections and states which one comes out on top :)

However, me personally, I got myself a LCD TV for these very good reasons:

1. Buying price for the LCD TV was cheaper than plasma.
    2. Running costs for the LCD TV is cheaper than plasma (plasma can use up to 2 1/2x more power than LCD, however still less than a CRT).
    3. LCD TV are better for/when connecting PC's & laptops, imo.

But each to their own :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what Ken said ^

Also plasmas can still suffer from burn in (where a still image is permanently burnt into the screen) However this can be minimised greatly if the plasma has a built in refresh which constantly refreshes the screen so the phosphors don't fix on a still image such as the press red button icon on sky TV.

Plasma TV have better blacks and are good of wathcing movies on but I would go for LCD for the reasons Ken stated aswell as there is no chance of burn in on LCD.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If you can afford it buy a Pioneer, simply put they are the best.

Personally, I have always been a fan of the Plasma, the Blacks are Black (not grey), they have screen savers to stop image burn, wider viewing angles, much better response times for things like sports and gaming, where as LCD the pixels cannot keep up and you get blurring.

Pioneer and Panasonic went head to head on this consumer survey click me

The viewing public choose Plasma as the best overall, followed closely by LCD.

I think its a personal choice, but watching TV on an LCD is a bit like having a bath your socks on it, it just isnt quite right :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Why reinvent the wheel? Here's the thread I created when I was doing similar research.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

cheers chaps...have decided to go with plasma after reading all your info...many thanks again

Certifications: 271
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

lol, you may want to read this news post...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security