What subjects are you finding hard ?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Bambino1506, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Hello guys, I've got my 70-271 exam in approx six weeks, been studying hard but still feel I have so much to learn and remember after doing a practice exam :(. I've read the MS press book once through and am now going back over the book trying to brush up and take more in.

What are you guys finding hard to learn/remember ?

for me its

Installing xp(what ASR is, recovery console, different function keys you can use during setup e.g. F7 to install without ACPI) basically everything on this subject !!

Printers, all the different steps in the printing process

Networking, don't mind this chapter so much but definitely need to reread it.

The phrasing of the actual questions in the practice exam was nasty to, have to memorise the exact path for doing things such as changing the regional language etc.

Think I am going to find it hard to pass.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I find it hard to remember lots of numbers, like if I had to remember lots of IP addresses.

But as I am only studying the A+ I am finding it quite easy going.

I'll see what happens when I decide what I am doing after the A+. (either N+ or MCP in windows xp )

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm afraid I'm not much answering your questions either - I hoping to take my 70-271 before Christmas and have only reach the section on NTFS permissions so far.

For the printer process and networking, a lot of that was covered for me in my A+ course so it should be too bad.

As for learning facts and figures. For my A+, I spent a whole evening, writing, covering and re-writing the minimum requirements for each OS. After that I could answer any questions on any MS OS and get the minimum requirements right.

Not getting at you and more of a reflection on myself - I think it's less to do with not being able to remember (because we are all able) but about the amount of time we want to spend on learning. If I really wanted to know, let use your example, how the printing process is done on a laser printer, I would spend all the time possible until I knew it like the back of my hand..... nothing is impossible, just challenging to start with, and easy after you've spent time learning it.

If you want to pass and know the subject well, and you're unsure on some areas, re-read and learn them again.... and keep repeating until you know it - failing that, if passing in 6 weeks is more important than knowing the subject 100%, learn the best you can and hope you make the pass mark.

It's an unfortunate decision we all have to make - try and pass by x weeks time or try and pass by 100% - personally, I'm the latter.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. greenbrucelee

what i find harder (should have mentioned it earlier) is studying for long periods even if I am really interested in the subject.

5. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the thoughts guys, appreciate it.

I've found it hard to study lately as been under pressure in a new job and my mrs is very ill, so been so tired I've forced myself to study when my brain isn't up for it if that makes sense lol.

Derkit I think u're right, prob just need to read more of the press book. I have until January really to pass it but I've set myself a target of November, spose I'm rushing because I'm so desperate to get it passed.

I am going to study as hard as I can for the next month and then do another measure up exam and see if I feel ready to book an exam for late november.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

There's nothing wrong with ambition - check my signature out - I've got a full learning schedule over the next year... while they're aims, they are that - aims - and if I miss, oh well - I'll learn and whatever speed I can with life permitting and take the exams as and when I'm ready.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dates and times of conferences, meetings, soccer games, appointments, etc. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

just do it a few times mate (presuming you have access to a client machine) after you have done it you will remember which buttons launch which features. good luck.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  9. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I made flash cards and put then in the car and read them every time I got in the car or when I was stuck in a traffic jam.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  10. greenbrucelee

I hope you didn't read the whilst driving :biggrin

11. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

great advice, i will do this on my next exam :)

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE