What spam e-mail solution do you use?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Boycie, Aug 26, 2010.

?

What spam email solution do you use (corporate) and why?

Poll closed Sep 9, 2010.
  1. What spam solution?!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Postini

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Messagelabs

23.5%
  4. MX screened at ISP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sophos puremessage

5.9%
  6. Barracuda appliance

17.6%
  7. GFI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Mailmarshal

5.9%
  9. Something else - if so, what?!

64.7%
  1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

What e-mail solution do you use within your corporate environment?

I'd be interested to hear what you guy's use, your opinion on it's effectiveness and any other comments on the subject.

Post now!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Voted.

We use Webroot's Email security service (SaaS) as our spam solution, after being with Messagelabs for a number of years.

Since moving to Webroot I've found the detection rates are better, and the level of support provided is superior to what we had before.

Also the control panel that Webroot provides has many more features available for managing block lists, email signatures etc.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

FOPE hosted by MSOnline and came from @ssp which was solid

[Added]
    What I love about FOPE(Forefront Online Protection for Exchange) is that is puts the user in control of his/her own Spam and I can get on with other things :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Spamassassin and Dr Web (AV) on webserver (Linux VPS) and ESET security suite deployed on local machines.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

First of all Postini is terrible, you have to setup individual user accounts, distribution groups etc otherwise mail doesn't flow.

We use Mailmarshall alot for inhouse spam services, it's OK but does require quite a bit off tweaking.

My personal favourite is Mailwall hosted solution.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Trend. It's crap, and I hate it. Much prefer SurfControl, but Trend is the in-house choice here, so no option but to use that.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

WE use a company called Altmans to control the Spam.

Just point the MX record at their servers and ensure Exchange only accepts mail from them and safe and sound.

Not sure on £££'s but I know it's not that cheap, but it works.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Trend Micro Hosted Email Security.

It's not great, support is a joke. Might look for alternative at some point. Too busy lately.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

We use 3 Barracudas and tI have to say they do a great job, although Barracudas spam list is occasionally a little twitchy when it comes to reputation.

To combat this we set up a spam mailbox where it all gets dump and when ever we have a minute we clear through and forward on what is necessary.

Really like the solution and the software on the box is great as well.

As an aside it can also help with DR as it will store all imcoming email so you can use them to replay the emails to your clients.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

We use SpamAssassin and its a pile of ****e, awkward to configure, detection rates are less than impressive and the lack of integration with Exchange makes everything a complete bastard. Oh, and apparently updating it effectively makes it useless until you can get it readjusted (we upgraded earlier on this week and within the first 24 hours we'd let over 1000 spam through to our 50 users).

Thankfully I've got a lump of cash in next years budget for a replacement solution, we'll be trialling GFI and Barracuda (not sure whether we'll go for a hardware appliance or one of their new virtual appliances).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  11. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Our customers have a mix of GFI and Sophos email appliance.
    Never setup GFI but Sophos was simple enough.

GFI seems to flag up more 'normal' business email as spam than Sophos.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  12. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Antigen is the one for us!

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

At the old bill I put a cluster of 2 Ironmail appliances in - replacing a crappy old single Trend gateway. They absolutely ruled - reduction of over 90% in spam getting through the first line filtering because the reputation service they used actually worked (unlike Trend's SRS which - at the time - was crap)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Josiahb, cant recommend the 'Cudas highly enough. The applicance we have is quite a few years old now (so old they want it back for their musuem)

Havent tried the virtual ones so cant speak for them.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

We use Websense Email Security... runs well, can't complain!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the replies guys - interesting, some of the comments. Seem to deal with a fair amount of problems relating to spam and mail issues, so thanks for the feedback!

Sounds interesting - i'll take a look.

Whilst I agree that the interface for postini needs a makeover (it seems to have stuff scattered everywhere - this is even worse when you are a reseller with millions of domains!), it does have a tie in with AD. What do you think about it's spam effeciency?

I love mailmarshal. Good product, with full control. Shame the forum has dropped in replies thou.

Interesting. Do they use another provider, or is it there own work?

Yeah, ive heard good things about these when looking for the web control appliance. They offered to loan one for 30 days. If you want it, you pay for it, if not, send it back. AD aware too. Sounds good.

Never heard of this one. Any good?

17. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Here is a little video from a user perspective and various other videos can be found here

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks for the link - just watched the videos's. any idea's on the pricing and what blocks the protection comes in?

19. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  20. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

my god what shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.
    arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    it not of this world

Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE