What sort of Kit?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Edible Words, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Edible Words

Edible Words New Member

Hi all, I am planning on starting to self-study the Comptia A+ and having a 'kit' to practice on could be helpful. I didn't really know what was mean't by this, so could I ask for some further advice as from anyone please?

Thanks in advance

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You dont really need much to be honest but if you are really new to fixing PCs and hardware then you could look at getting a cheapo second hand pc that you can practice taking to bits and putting back together.

When I studied the A+ all I used was the recommended book by Mike Meyers for you it will be the 7th edition. His book is callled compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 7the edition by Mike Meyers.

If you dont fancy buying a computer to mess about with you could download virtual pc and get a trial version of windows xp then you can have a virtual computer on your own computer but without the hardware. You can use virtual pc to mess about with files and things like that without any risk to your proper machine. The only thing you cant really do is take it to bits and things like that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Edible Words

Edible Words New Member

Ok cool I will look into buying a cheap PC...I guess at least that way I know the components will all be compatible. Thanks GreenBruceLee ^^
    Just out of curiosity, buying an older PC...say 5+ years old, will that still be okay to look at, or should I keep my sights in more recent models?