what software?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by steve_p1981, Apr 19, 2012.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

ok so i've posted before about this fun.exe worm that infected a couple of XP machines at work. one of the PCs actually fried it's motherboard and so got replaced (cheaply with another XP machine from a high street guy we know) and i done a fresh install on the other one only 2 days ago as the boss finally caved and let me do it! the new pc has already been infected by this worm and we've only had it at most, 2 weeks and has had very little downloaded onto it.

As i have mentioned before, my boss is tight as a ducks bum and we've been using free AV software for as long as I can remember but i would like some feedback on what software is good but doesn't need a load of system resources to run as most of our machinesare petium 2 or 3 with at most 1GB RAM!

The 2 modern pcs we have that have vista and win 7 dont seem to get infected. Im putting this down to the upped security from defender AND the AV software we currently run.

We'd need at least 8 licences and we don't have a server here (the win 7 machine acts as a file server).

Is there an inherent problem with XP that allows it to be attacked? i know large companies still use it but they most likely have web servers and "proper firewalls" to protect them and this splution isn't available to me.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Microsoft Security Essentials is free for up to 10 PCs.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

First of all, there is nothing wrong with free anti-virus (especially Microsoft Security Essentials, it's available free to small business with less than 10 PC's), as long as it's properly maintained.

Second, turn off the autoplay feature that is turned on by default on Windows.

Thirdly, your boss is going to have to spend some cash on a (at least) cheap web filtering system like GlobalView Web Filtering (please note that I'm not endorsing the product or the reseller, this is just an example) to block against malware or virus-ridden web sites.

Regardless of whether s/he see's IT as a necessary evil or a supporting business process, he has to take security seriously. After all you're currently only dealing with the Fun.exe - that you know of, what about the possibilty of infection(s) that you don't know about or future/more complex infections?

Fourtly, what about your current router? Check to see if that has basic security (eg firewall) on it, does it need updating? Does it need to be configured better?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

tight arse maybe and free the AV might be to install, but you've got to make sure that you are within the licence agreement of the software otherwise free may actually end up costing hundreds of thousands in fines, you can also count downtime due to infected networks into that "free" idea as well.

You can also have a look at windows intune which compared to what it does is actually very cost effective and makes many management tasks a doddle!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

That's a great idea with the auto play feature. I'll do that when I'm next at work.
    I like the idea of the web filtering, I looked at the link and it said the router controls it. I assume that means I only install it on the pc directly connected to the router and it controls it via comms between the router and pc it's installed on?
    Also would it likely have an option to limit guest users to just the Internet as the boss wants to have a wifi point and I don't want people having access to the whole network.

This is the first time I've had to do any thing like this so I'm a little naive.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Look at getting a decent firewall mate - will give you gateway AV protection and also additional ports for say a public wifi point etc.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

For anti-virus I can strongly recommend ESET NOD32. It's core is written in Assembler (or so I've heard) so it's very light-weight (I can confirm that). It's not too expensive but it's not free. My GF's laptop got infected with some malware with MS Security Essentials fully updated. It started picking it up after I cleaned it with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. I guess it was some 0-day exploit.

Re: Ken's link.

The web filtering is performed on the router and this isn't a software that you install on a PC. I believe it's a subscription that works only with DrayTek routers. It communicates directly with GlobalView servers to get the latest updates.

I think what's being suggested is that you get a decent router/firewall with Web Filtering feature (usually subscription).

Here's another example:
    XTM Security Suite - WebBlocker, Firebox, Security Appliance | WatchGuard Technologies

WIP: Uhmm... not sure