What software to use to build an Intranet

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by Haroon Mustafa, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

Hello,

The title says it all. I just want to build an intranet for work but i do not know what software to use

I am hoping for free software or any recommendations for paid stuff.

I have a little knowledge on CSS - but what ever it is i will get my head around it, as what i need to do
    is pretty straight forward.

Cheers

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

there's several content management systems out there that you can use, but it depends really on what you want and what it's going to be used for.

is it just a basic setup with minimal information, or does it need updating regularly etc.?

We've just put Sharepoint 2013 in as our intranet host, that may work for you, or then again it may be too complicated for what you need - difficult to suggest something without knowing what it is you'll need it to run

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It really depends on what you want to do, if it's just hosting web pages internally then something like SharePoint or even just IIS, if it's document management etc then why not look at Confluence?

It's a bag of worms with regards to availability of products and they all do different things, so it really does depend on what you want\need out of it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Haroon Mustafa

Thanks for that.

The information we are going to provide is really basic. Its a lot of links to sites or downloads for certain things. Also, we have stuff like "reload network drives" in case our network couldn't provide our drives first time round.. Right now, it is just a long page with various links. I want to amend this and make it decorative and have those links there.

Is there anything free to do that with?

When i say free, i can use Adobe CS - we can get a licence, but we want to create our page for free and have it hosted free internally only.

So if someone does not have internet access on there PC they can still visit the Intranet and read something.. does this create a better idea?

Cheers,

5. Haroon Mustafa

I had a look on those links, but those are more complex ideas then i need. Sorry for not explaining first off. But we need an internal page where we can host different links for staff to click on. - This could be something we pay to create ourselves and hosted by us for free.

Cheers :D

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Static HTML page hosted on IIS or Apache ?

Problems as simple or as hard as you want it to be.

Content management systems exist for managing either lots of content or for allowing non technical people to author web pages.

Since you have little content and you are prepared to pickup web skills, you don't necessarily need one.

Becoming competent at CSS is no mean feat, don't underestimate it. Adobe CS is not necessary to create a web page.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If it's going down that route I would even suggest something like a WAMP or LAMP (Windows\Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) stack with WordPress on the back, have a look at Bitnami as they do a whole host of different offerings.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Haroon Mustafa likes this.