What salary should I be asking for?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ukspeedster, Nov 3, 2006.

1. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

Hi everyone,
    As I said in my previous post I have a second interview for a Junior IT support Engineer. The role involves 1st line support (200 users), some 2nd line support, maintenance of systems and handling of assets. They are offering 18-22k salary, benefits/bonus and funding for exams, training on job.
    Its a junior position so im not sure what kind of pay I should be asking for given the range 18-22k.

I have over a years experience on a help desk, but nothing too technical, just the basic stuff like customer service, basic 1st line support etc.

Can anyone give me an idea of what pay I should be asking for and why, for this junior support position?
    Any other comments to help would be useful too.

Thanks 8)

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A junior position on £18 - £22k! J33z, I gotta get myself a payrise. :eek:

Ask for whatever you feel you deserve, but be able to justify your request. 8)

3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I was just going to say the same thing! Make sure that salary range is correct as if this is an Agency quote then it could be wrong!

But then again it could be right...get as much as you can!!!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - i think that you should search around some job sites to get an idea as to how much your role is paying in your area - for me £18 - 22k is more 3rd line, but im in Brum, whereas in London, they tend to bump your wages higher due to higher cost in living.

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

thats pretty reasonable for a London based role, 3rd line here should rake in over 25k easy

mate, it all depends on the breadth of your skillset, if you think you will be doing a lot of learning on the job, dont ask for the upper band, as someone with those skills already will likely pip u to the post
    if you ask for the lower bracket they may see some value in you over the more experianced other candidate

and they will generally make u an offer in the range themselves, id stay under 20k for a junior role tho, especially with your limited experiance, best to play it safe, if you show your value you will likely get a bump up anyway

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Wow! Just high salary, I wish I could get 500-1000$ a month T.T

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  7. Mr.Cheeks

whats $500-1000 TT <--- The TT part?

8. ukspeedster

Yep, its based in London, and I got the salary range from their advert and confirmed it with their HR department.

According to graduate sites such as prospects and milkround, and salary surveys, starting salary should be around the region of 19-20k. But as we all know some positions offer less salary but more benefits (bonus etc), training prospects and career growth.

What would be a good answer to "what kind of salary are you looking for"?

I would say something like...Im looking for a position where I can develop my skills in technical support, gain training and back up my knowledge by taking certfications. What range are you offering? (18-22k)
    There are alot of prospects for growth and development within this company, and with my learning ability and the experience I have gained so far, I think I would fit right into the middle of the range youre offering, what do you think?

Could also ask about performance reviews, and how often theyre done.

What does everyone think of this?
    Any other suitable answers, or answers that you guys have used would be useful.

Thanks 8)

9. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

When you say "nothing too technical", what's the job you're actually doing at the moment and what sort of problems are you resolving? Are they software are hardware issues? Are you expected to resolve things at first point of contact? You can work those sort of things into the interview and try to relate them to any theoretiacl questions that get thrown at you in the interview. You may know more than you realise!
    I also ask from a personal point of view as I'm planning to start looking for new jobs in the new year (after the bonuses pay out at my current place)!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  10. ukspeedster

1st line software and hardware issues within Windows, where im asked to resolve the issue as much as possible, and then pass it on to the 2nd line support. Working with SLA's.

Its varied between taking calls on the phone and face to face. Also, things like software installation, hardware installations and basic desktop support issues.
    I also handle the new kit that comes in and record it in their database.

Does that help?

11. ukspeedster

if the range is 18-22k, whats the lower range, middle range and higher range?

12. Mr.Cheeks

i would of thought that

lower £18k
    mid £20k
    higher £22k
    :blink

13. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I would probably see how you feel the interview pans out before you make that desicion. If at the end of the interview and you still feel confident maybe shoot for the 20k mark. If you ask for the 22k they will probably ask you there and then to justify why you deserve it. The paid training is of reasonably high value depending on how much and if they pay the whole lot. It's always wiser to push for more money if your proving yourself ONCE your foots in the door,

Good luck whatever you decide man

14. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I just moved jobs as well (gave notice 2 days ago) and I asked for the top of the range they were offering.

They asked to justify such a salary. After the interview I did quite a bit of bartering with the agent a couple of days after and we eventually settled on quite a bit less than the top of the range but with scope to work up to the top of the range fairly quickly after 6 months to a year.

I'm happy with the figure because it's a big jump from what I'm on now.

It's all down to whether you think you're worth that much or not - if you feel slighly awkward asking for too much then don't do it. I felt OK with asking for the top of the range because I knew that they would only be able to barter me down from the figure I suggested so I aimed high.

If I'd aimed lower maybe they would have got me down to less than they've agreed to take me on for.

It's your call at the end of the day. If it feels right ask for as much as they're offering, they can only barter you down from the figure you throw out there.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  15. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I'd ask them what was on offer. It's the usual way of doing it!!

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That's fine mate.

Bear in mind that they probably already employ staff and they will not pay you more than their existing people in the same role. They would not want a revolt on their hands, people talk regardless of how many times you tell them to keep quiet about their package. So, you need to say something like.. I am happy to accept the rate which you pay your current staff in that role and hopefully get raises in line with my productivity once I prove myself and have settled into the job.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. da_cortez

da_cortez New Member

i find that untrue within our company, a lot of new guys come in at a higher salary as the company have to meet the current salary market which i agree is crap as you have people on lower salary's training the new guys.

Certifications: CCNA, JNCIA-ER & JNCIS-ER
    WIP: CCNP
  18. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I use to think the same way, but the truth is a company will pay more to new staff because that’s the current market value.

It’s much more difficult to bump an existing employee by 10% for doing the same work; whereas a new employee can be more easily justified. It’s sounds off, but it’s true.