What salary bracket are you in?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Baba O'Riley, Apr 20, 2006.

?

What salary bracket are you in?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2006.
  1. < £10,000

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. £10,001 - £15,000

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. £15,001 - £20,000

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. £20,001 - £25,000

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. > £25001

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

OK, this poll is inspired by shaqs101's thread here.

Basically, (s)he is expecting to earn £25k this year but wants to get into development for the money. I think that salary would put shaqs101 in the wealthier portion of forum members so my question, mainly to those in an IT position, is how much do you earn?

Me, I'm on £16k (hopefully) going up to £18k next month after my first six months, but for that I work some pretty unsociable hours.

[Edit] Before I get shot down in flames, I quite understand if you don't want to say, but the poll itself is vague and anomynous so feel free to vote. :D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You need to add a Poll, mate :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Baba O'Riley

You're too fast Gav, I was still editing it :D .

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Put it this way, I have £500 for myself to spend on anything I like each month. All the bills and other cr@p (savings, etc) are already accounted for. :biggrin

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Me, not much at the moment but things are picking up as time goes by. It's hard to earn good money straight away if you start a business from scratch. :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I had to get rid of the Ferrari because it does lousy mileage.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. magic

magic Banned

nowhere near what I would like to earn (:

8. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

My Salary is around the £20,000 bracket, possibly just over depending on mileage claims etc.

Still skint every month due to some rather large loans taken out during my younger days when saving meant nothing to me!

In 5 years I reckon I will be living a comfortable life when credit cards, loans, car etc are all paid off.

When I worked at McDonalds full time as a young lad I earned around £10,500 a year but always had money! I earn double that now and have none.

As they say, the more you earn the more you spend.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, allowing for the conversion rates (approx 2.5 to 1 and they are rather high) it looks like I earn around 35K. All that said, the living costs here are greater than in the UK.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Baba O'Riley

Some interesting results there, thanks. Looks like some of you earn more than I thought :) .

What gets me is that a guy I work with who is approx 47 now, went into a £10,000 a year IT job when he was 16. Look at how much the cost of living has gone up over that time yet you can still leave school expecting to earn only £10,000 :x (which personally, I think is a pittance and if someone offered me that money for a 40 hour week I'd kick them in the nuts :twisted: ).

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Interestingly can I just add to this thread the question:

How long have you been in IT?

There are some people who earn a 'decent' living out there, but I'm willing to bet that they have been in the industry for some time. 8)

It's almost 10 years for me now! :eek:

12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

baba im 21 and on 5400 (7500 aprox sterling). Living expenses are nearly on par with the UK and much more in some sectors - but this is cyprus where if you dont like your salary - you go 'try' find another job or stick with it... very few people in any sector earn more than 1000 a month unless you working for the goverment... its insane!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  13. Baba O'Riley

Jeepers :ohmy !

As for simon's question, I have been in t'industry for about five months.

14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Interestingly there seems to be quite a gap in the number of people earning £15 - £20K and £25K+.

Is this gap the general trend between Technincian and Network Manger or the like? If so what role fits in between?

I'm in the 'in between' BTW.

:blink

15. Baba O'Riley

Good question Simon. I know that the network manager of the school I worked in was on £20k so I suppose a similar job in industry would be closer to £25. I'm quite surprised at the number of people on over £25 TBH.

16. Baba O'Riley

Zimbo, what are taxes like in Cyprus? I've worked in France and Italy and although income tax is a bit higher you get more for your money in terms of health services, education etc so I didn't begrudge it, also other taxes tend to be lower than the UK (VAT etc.)

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Why? IMO thats a fairly respectable wage. I used to earn that 3 years ago and that was as a junior Systems Engineer. were it not for a change in circumstances I would be on more than that now.

I do my job for the love of it! :blink :tune

18. Baba O'Riley

Do you think I think it's a poor wage or over excessively high wage? :blink

The answer is neither, but I do think it's a very good wage. What I mean is that most members are either looking at getting into the IT industry or are only just starting out so I was surprised because I thought most people would be on less that's all.

Although the average UK wage is around the £30k mark, this is skewed by all those CEOs who earn millions a year for working 10 hour weeks. I think a more realistic average is around £20k - £22k so IMO £25k is a very good wage and not to be sniffed at.

19. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I would suppose though that the people who earn the larger salaries a people who are in positions of seniority and who 'manage' other people.

Whilst I can't say for definate, I'm guessing that the higher earners are the members here who are well qualified and have many years of experience behind them. You know who you are! 8)

20. Baba O'Riley

Jammy gits! :D