What PST repair tool would you recommend?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by onoski, May 29, 2007.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi All,

I have come across a pst issue whereby each time I try using the Microsoft inbuilt scanpst.exe it scans up to 6 of 8 file and stops without finishing time and time again. The file is only 1.06GB in size.

I noticed there are several pst repair tools that are not free, hence would like to find out from yourselves which of these tools would you recommend for repairing corrupt pst files. Please, I am looking to spend no more than $50. Thanks in advance.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I take it maybe no one on this site has had dealings with pst files then:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good Lord, man, this is a forum, not online chat! :ohmy Patience, Padawan...

That said, I haven't had any issues with corrupt PST files. I've had a few corrupt e-mail messages; in those cases, I simply delete the corrupt messages and drive forward.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Michael for the feedback but this is way of the topic.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Advising you to be patient is no farther off the topic than you complaining about not receiving a reply in the first hour-forty, my friend. :biggrin heehee!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Just because the PST is reported as being 1.06Gb doesn't necessarily mean it IS that size - it may well have been immense previously and had someone delete a load of stuff out of it then attempt a defrag - for instance. This has happened to me on more than one occasion - cue me attempting to explain to a PHB the concept of 'whitespace' before giving up and just telling them 'it's f***ed'.

If you're certain that the PST never went over 2Gb (and take the 2Gb limit with a pinch of salt - I've seen PSTs go wonky anywhere past about 1.2Gb) and if you've tried running scanpst without success, you could still contact M$ and ask for the utility they use to truncate outsize PSTs - I don't think you can get it direct without contacting PSS. It sounds daft to truncate a file that you're sure never went over the size limit, but I've seen this work before (presumably because it deleted the munged item that was causing the corruption).

Failing that, you could:

Try importing it into an Exchange mailbox using ExMerge, then deleting enough to get it under 2Gb before exporting it back out using the same utility.

Try using a file sizing utility like 'FileChopper' as an alternative to the PST truncate utility from M$.

Finally, you might have to pay for something like BadCopy - which will allow you to recover from most corruption problems

HTH

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

...you're welcome...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Zeb, tried badcopy pro and problem solved:biggrin

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ONLY 1.06GB????? Christ.

Through trial and error we have come to the conclusion that above 700MB pst files become unstable (I dont care that MS state its 2GB - they lie!).

As such all our users are told that above 700MB they have to create and use another pst file.

We have a program that cuts down the size, but i believe its the MS version previously mentioned.

If its of interest, you can actually set a limit on pst file sizes in the registry. For instructions on doing this, go Here

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. fyz

fyz New Member

Hi,

You can try a tool called Advanced Outlook Repair to repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.

I don't know how much it is. But you can first download a free demo version at http://link removed Hope this helps.

Alan

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

1GB aint bad considering the .pst file can go up to 20GB since Outlook 2003 was released. Bad news if if gets caught up in a users roaming profile though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Funny you mentioned that as one of our vpn user's roaming profile does get clogged on our Citrix farm server. The other time it was nearly 24GB, oouch!

But now and again myself and colleague gets rid of the profile from the Citrix farm server and she doesn't know as all is well when she logs back on the domain in the office.

13. janet

janet New Member

PST corruption is really very dangerous as it makes your entire data inaccessible. You can take the help of inbuilt scanpst.exe tool for complete PST repair. In case it does not works you can take the help of commercial free PST repair tool.