what now??

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mariusz, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

Hi guys :D

I passed my Security+ today - more here http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=379663#post379663
    Now I wonder what to do next?
    I was thinking about Server+ and Linux+ but don't think I should take them, as Server+ doesn't seem to be entry level, doesn't seem necessary at all for me, and Linux is not my cup of tea.
    So what I was thinking is to do 70-680 and 70-685 and CCENT after it and then to stop doing certs untill I get into IT - is it a good way? does it have any sense to do CCENT when I already have N+ and S+?

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I'd wait until you get into a job first, then take an exam relevant to the work you're doing, or perhaps want to move onto within that role. The certs you've got now will suit your first entry level role - you need to then think of what you want to go onto, or perhaps specialzie in.

Are you working in IT at present?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

No, I don;t work in IT at the moment, last time I was working in IT was about 8 years ago.
    On Monday I start admin role (maternity cover) and it is for 9-12 months. During this time I want to do NVQ Lvl3 Business Administration, and I want to be prepared for job search, that's why I think about more certs in IT

When I was doing A+ I wasn't thinking about getting into IT. I wanted to gain skills that will make me more competitive on market and wanted to find an admin job (multiskilled person is more attractive for employer imo). Then I found this forum and started gaining more certs.
    I have 2 backgrounds, and I feel good in both - 1 is IT Technician and another is export (I was export manager, multiskilled position with logistics, purchase, production planning and management), and I will be looking for a job in both areas.

IT Certs are cheaper than export certs (IOE Lvl3 is cost of about 1100quid, and they seem to "demand" to do it as a course not self study, so I will do it only when I get into export) that's why I want to do few more and to be prepared well.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're already overcertified for entry-level with Security+, so unless you wanted to grab the MCDST or MCTS (Vista/Win7), I'd recommend you hold off on any further certifications until you've got some experience under your belt. Take all your energy you'd put into certifying and refocus it into finding an IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

so how about 70-680 and 70-685?
    I read on this forum that it is equal to MCDST but its for win7
    is it ok to do it?
    CCENT - entry lvl cert - you wouldn't recommend it?

6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep! That said, you'd still probably be better served by putting your efforts primarily into finding an IT job. Every day you spend out of IT is another day that you have lost towards building the real-world experience that employers desire.

Despite its poorly chosen name, it is not an entry-level certification. Entry-level jobs have nothing to do with configuring, troubleshooting, or otherwise administering Cisco devices.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

cheers, than it's just 70-680 and 685.
    concerning to IT. there is one charity organisation in my area (next town, but about 3-4 miles away) that is looking for an network technician for 10 computers. I'll see how it will look with my unborn son (due on 3 April) and if it will be all fine I'll volunteer for 1-2 times a week. :-)