What not to wear

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, Sep 17, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I was going to post this topic, but I'd forgotten about it.

That's from Tripwires Beers post.That reminded me of this.

What do you think about being able to wear casual clothes to work, instead of shirt and tie etc.

I have differing views on this.I believe there are implications which have to be looked at.

I recall there was a debate in parliament about whether they had to wear ties or not.

Also, my training provider say that it would be appropriate if I wore a shirt and tie when I attend in-centre, although this isn't absolutely mandatory.

I must admit, when I go for an interview and I'm all smart and dolled up, I do feel more confident and to the part.

However, is this necessary all the time.

Anyway, I'll shut up and let you people have your say.

2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

It depends who you work for :!:

My last employer insisted on a suit, shirt and tie.

My current employer just asks that we are decent. I normally come to work in trainers, jeans (shorts when really hot) and a tee shirt.

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'm quite happy to go with the "smart in a smart environment" idea (within reason), but maybe that's just because, being in a fairly physical, in/outdoor job, I have to wear jeans/tshirts etc.

Each to there own, I suppose ........

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Shirt and tie for me at work, dont have to but I take pride in my appearance. It also makes me feel like I'm not at work when I get changed.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, when I deliver the mail, I get to wear my blue postie shirt but, because I'm a low paid temp with no clothing allowance, they also let me wear jeans...oh...you mean in a professional environment. At all my IT jobs, I've been directed to dress in "business casual" attire. This has been described to me as either a button down shirt, open collar or a polo shirt...no insignia or brand names (like "MS rules" or "Linux aint for sissies")., chino style pants and some sort of casual (but no tennis shoes) footwear.

I can't imagine tearing into a PC with a tie hanging down into the guts of the machine. Besides, any loose threads or static on the fabric and "poof" no more working PC. I haven't had any complaints. If I were teaching, it might be a different story, but frankly, every university instructor I've had for the last 20 or 30 years, with an exception or two, dressed pretty casually. Neat for the most part, but no suit and tie.

If I had to do a sales meeting or something to impress a big time client, maybe I'd be expected to dress up. It really depends on the context. On a day to day basis, when I'm rummaging around under someone's desk, trying to find the wall jack to network a PC, I'd just as soon be comfortable (it's amazing what you can find under a person's desk).

One thing is really do insist on in myself is having a separate attire for work than for the rest of my life. One of the ways to prepare myself for a "professional" day is to dress for work in some manner or fashion. I don't think I'd feel comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans in a professional IT job, even if it was allowed.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Casual but smart is the dress code for us.

However during the holidays, we do revert to jeans and teeshirts.

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Computermonkey

Computermonkey Bit Poster

Okay, shirt and ties are fine for you guys, but what about the gals? I haven't found a job yet, but I intend to put in my resume at a few places around town very soon... It has bugged me for a long time about what I am suppose to wear... I have seen several of the guys that work as Tech's and I see they wear jeans and polo shirts with the logo's on them and sometimes they wear nice pants.

I am not one to wear dresses, only on special occassions, and it has to be very special! *LOL* I absolutely hate wearing dresses! I am more of a jeans and sweatshirt/t-shirt person, and on hot days I wear shorts. Would jeans and a polo shirt be appropriate for me?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Yes, why should you dress any diffrent from the guys?

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sounds like you're a real Peppermint Patty after all, Monk :P

10. Computermonkey

Thank you, Jak! I always thought I was the Peppermint Patty type!
    Just think, blonde, brains, and beauty all wrapped in one *LOL* :oops:

11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Gav and I could lend you our Kilts (both being Scotsmen) :!:

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey, come one, Sandy - we're trying to encourage Members here, not frighten them off ... :badi

13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Have you seen my knees Gav?

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

For interviews, I often ask on the phone what they'd like me to wear. I've always heard "business casual" which translates into a button down or polo style shirt and some sort of dress slack like dockers. I always tend to dress up just a bit more for the interview than I would on a regular work day. I consider it a sign of respect for the people interviewing me.

On every IT job I've had, I've dressed in a polo shirt, slacks, and a semi-dress shoe. You have to look like a professional but also be ready to crawl under someone's desk at a moment's notice. Even when other people were wearing t-shirts and jeans on jobs, I'd still maintain my "uniform". Part of it, at least for me, is that having "special" clothes for working kind of gets me in the right frame of mind to work. I wear a t-shirt and jeans when I'm at home, relaxing, or putting in a dishwasher.

True story. Two days ago, I had a job through the wireless outfit I've recently developed a relationship with. Chris, the owner, told me to "dress appropriately" (typically vague...naturally, I had to decide what "appropriate" meant for going into a property manager's office downtown and configuring their small LAN). I showed up at the Zial office so Chris and I could drive downtown together. He's in a button down shirt and a very ratty looking pair of faded jeans. Gee, how "appropriate" is that. Sure, he's got a really good relationship with these people, but it just seemed odd to me.

Another true story. Many, many years ago, I worked in Southern California for county social services investigating allegations of child abuse (man, those were different days). All the cubicles in the office were built for two and may cube mate was a guy named Tony...Mexican-American and bilingual. He was assigned to investigate allegations involved families that were spanish speaking and often went into pretty economically depressed areas. Everyday, he wore a full suit and tie to work (I dressed in a polo shirt and jeans...some of those neighborhoods are rough and I didn't want to stick out anymore than I already did). I asked Tony about it. He said that in the Mexican culture, they expect professionals to dress well as a sign of respect.

It's all in the expectations of who you're working with.

15. AJ

Don't know what it is like "over the pond" but if you are talking about interviews then it has to be a suit and tie everytime. It shows you have at least made an effort in your appearance IMHO.

In my previous job as a duty manager in a leisure centre, which involved hiring staff, the first 10 seconds of an interview where the most important. A smart, clean and well dressed person always impressed along with a firm confident handshake and, dare I say it, a nice smile.

Well that's what I looked for and most of the time it worked for me, both whilst hiring and when looking for a job.

Andrew

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Totally agree with that, Andrew.

The thing I always find tricky is managing to shake the interviewers hand exactly as firmly as he/she shakes yours. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but I think its important too.

Obviously, make sure it's not sweaty first :!:

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I've done a bit of interviewing in my time and one piece of advice I heard was, "Don't look at their clothes...look at their shoes".

18. AJ

Oh, and plenty of direct eye contact, but not too much so that the interviewee or interviewer feels uncomfortable.

and yes, nice shiney shoes.

Have we stolen the thread here, from what to wear at work to how to handle interviews. Still good info for all.

Andrew

19. Computermonkey

No thanks *LOL* You guys would probably look better in them than I would :D

20. Computermonkey

Hey you all are giving me very good advice :D

The problem I know that I am going to have is being so nervous that they will be able to notice... my mind will be going crazy thinking "Are my clothes good enough?".... "Is my hair okay?".... It would be just endless thoughts going through my mind...

Too bad I can't take someone with me to the interview! *LOL*