What not to do when you land your next Tech job

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by Metalstar, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

http://thebrandbuilder.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/how-to-lose-your-job-in-140-characters-or-less/

Slightly silly, to say the least!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Owch!, well there is Darwinism in action...

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

lol, I would not want to be in that persons shoes...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Surely the person really doesn't know IT to make a mistake like that. BB is watching 8)

5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Reminds me of that Australian Facebook story where the call center worker rang work and said he was sick so his manager looked on his facebook status and it said thrown a sicky at work. They then rang him and said he wasn't sick and he said prove it so the manager emailed him a screenshot of the status lol.

The point is some people are idiots to think that stuff like this doesn't find it's way back to people and land you in doodoo.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. High School Tech

High School Tech New Member

This is a good example of why I've closed my Facebook account - according to Computer Weekly over 60% of potential employers will perform Facebook (and other social networking site) searches on job applicants.

Personally I've got nothing to hide but I've seen it first-hand; somebody applies for a job, the boss searches on Facebook and turns up loads of pics of this guy in an inebriated state, arse-out, smoking reefers etc... Okay, everybody is entitled to a good night out, but to make this sort of info public is simply naive, especially if you're job hunting.

Although on paper the applicant was suitable for an interview at least, his facebook profile consigned his application form to the bin.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCSA, MCSE 2003, CCENT ICND1
    WIP: CCENT ICND2
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

On the other hand, if a page exists and no negatives are to be found, the employer can get a positive impression of you. I **hope** employers check me out!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You obviously havent seen my 'Im BosonMike' spoof home page I made then...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. BosonMichael

I linked to it from my 'I'm FergalNineteenEightyTwo' page. ;) heh!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Heh. Maybe I should remove the intemperate remarks from my photo blog?

http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/words

(You'll know 'em when you see 'em.)

Then again, maybe not. The opinions are heart felt. >:-)

Best,

Sean M.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  11. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

You could always just make your profile private to everyone except friends :blink

Personally, I would hope they check me out. My rule is to not post anything I wouldn't be happy with either my mother, my girlfriend or my boss reading.

I actually use twitter during the day, which also updates my facebook status. My bosses read it :D Just have to make sure I don't post any "just going for a nap in the server room" messages.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've seen that page, it actually raises my profile when compared to the real stuff :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. BosonMichael

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. :thumbleft