What MS Certs can you use A+ N+ against

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Spilly, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

What MS Certs can you use A+ & N+ against.

I've tried to work it out but I'm just getting more confused.

Do these count as an elective for some MS cert???

Just looking for a short cut to more certs on the C.V.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Spilly,

The CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+ certifications count as an elective for the Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA) on Windows 2003 certification.

Source:
    1. MCSA on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

So just to clarify to get MCSA on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Certification I just need to get to 2 core MS exams if I've already got A+ & N+ ?

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

A+/N+ counts as one MCP in the eyes of Microsoft, so you need another three.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Spilly,

No, that is not correct. In order to earn the MCSA 2003 certification you need to take and pass:
    1. Networking System
      • 70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment.
      • 70-291: Implementing, Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    2. Client Operating System
      • 70-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional OR
      • 70-210: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    3. Elective
      • Waived by CompTIA A+ & CompTIA Network+

So above and beyond the exams to become CompTIA A+ & CompTIA Network+ certified, you will need at least 3 Microsoft exams to become a MCSA 2003.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That terminology is incorrect. The term "MCP" should not be confused with the term "exam"; the A+/N+ combo does not grant you the MCP certification. It merely satisifes the elective requirement for the MCSA certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

So i would neeed 70-290 and 70-291

and 70-270 or 70-210

Thats 3 MS certs

Elective I would already have with A+ & N+

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Michael is correct. For example if you have 70-270, 290,291 and A+, N+ you are an MCSA

Meaning that to become an MCSA you require 3 core exams and an elective. Core exams being 270,290,291 and elective would be A+ and N+ together. A+ and N+ together only count as 1 elective exam completed.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. BosonMichael

Yes - Prof's got it right. A client exam (210 or 270), plus the first two server exams (290 and 291), plus an elective (A+/N+ combo) will get you the MCSA.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You know what I mean...

:rolleyes: :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. BosonMichael

I do... but others, especially newbies, may not. 8) That's how (accidental) misinformation spreads, my friend!

12. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Thanks alot for clearing that up guys. I was just thinking about that. So the A+ & N+ combo enables you to become MCSA certified by passing 3 of the MCSA exams instead of 4......that's real neat. Thanks again guys.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  13. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi

I work in 1 level support at the moment

Im concerned that if i do the net+/a+ then ill be still here in one year but if i do mcsa(either taught or self-learning il be much better placed)

I can also do MCITP: Enterprise Administrator over 1 year

Thanks a mill for help
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  14. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Come back to your original thread Noel - click here

By keeping all your information (such as you're 1st line support) in one place we can advise you better.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA