What kind of certs you need to become software developer or programmer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ifailed, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Ifailed

Ifailed Bit Poster

I have bachelor in IT and I am just started working on networking area certs but I feel like I may not end up liking it. So my question is, what kind of certs can I work for if I want to go into programming or software developer field with IT degree? I took few java and C++, visual stuido courses that covers super basic stuff but I am pretty sure that's nowhere enough to land even entry level job. So what's something like comptia A+ certs in java and c++ and how do I work my way up? I don't think simply studying random stuff would prepare me for the entry level job. What should I be doing to work on if I want to become employable for entry level job in within next 6 months? I am ready to study and practice 5+ hours a day.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Probably your best bet is to learn HTML5, CSS3, SASS, Grunt, Bower, JavaScript, React, Backbone, Node JS, NPM, lodash and become a front end web developer.

Another choice could be to go back to C++ and become an embedded developer.

Software development is super competitive, you will need more than just basic skills.

Certifications do exist but nobody really cares about them, its more about how good you are at your job.

If you need a syllabus of what to study try MOOC and CBT :-

coursera.org
    edx.org
    codeschool.com
    pluralsight.com
    frontendmasters.com
    udacity.com
    udemy.com
    codecademy.com

and plenty more...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

When I was originally considering IT as a career, I wanted to get into the development side, its too competetive I didn't have the motivation for it so went to support which I had an interest in anyway. I remember there being some Microsoft dev certs but from what I heard they are not that recognised in the UK.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016