What job do you work at?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by piccadilly, Oct 27, 2009.

1. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

What job do you all here work at after you passed 271?

Did you move or stayed on.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

When I passed my MCDST, I was already a Senior Tech. I'm still at the same place.

BTW, you will find that there will be no standard answer to your question. Some people would have no experience in IT, while others will have years, plus other quals and certs...

Certifications are only a small part of the advancement process.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. manyb

manyb Bit Poster

so experience matters more than certs.

4. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

I doubt the 271 by itself would warrant any sort of raise, or promotion. The most you’d probably get is an extra task or two on your weekly task list.

Promotions, raises, and more responsibilities within the company you are already with would probably happen after higher level certs.

MCSA
    MCSE
    CCNA
    CCNP

etc.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

If you got the MCDST and you're in an IT job, depending on how long you've been there, i wouldnt really see it as a progression cert.. maybe from no IT certs or no IT exp it is..
    I got my MCDST just because I could.. and it worked as an elective for my MCSA. I only recently got my MCSA and although I am in the mind of moving companies, it's not because I got my MCSA. The MCSA will help me validate my knowledge though.

Anyway, I hope this pursuades you not to jump ship solely because you passed a MS exam!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I got a pat on the back and had to buy cakes for all the office!

7. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Oops Duplicate

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

You mean you had to buy cakes twice? :blink

Re me and the 271, I was were am I am now, doing pretty much the same job.

9. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Exactly where I was before I got my MCDST :)

10. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Still the same, had a "well done" email and a "when you doing the 272?"

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ofcourse it does.

No IT manager would let someone who has the MCSA or CCNA and no experience loose on their network but someone who had experience in networking would get let loose regardless of wether they had the MCSA or CCNA.

Having both would be the optimal solution.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

I know most do not typically get a promotion or change jobs after a certification, but I could not interview for an open "Lead Desktop Analyst" at my company with out having an A+, MCP and MCDST or prepaired to obtain MCDST within 6 months. That was in the job posting.

I work with a lot of people in a large hospital in the States. A lot of us have A+ and an MCP or two, but no one had the MCDST. Some people I work with do not believe in certs after living through the PAPER MCSE debacle for WIN2K. They think it is just a waste of time.

I was the only one who knocked out the MCDST among us and I was the only one who interviewed for the job and I got the job because of the MCDST (plus my 15 years of experience). My MBA didn't allow me to get the interview nor did my 2 year networking degree, but MCDST did.

So do not think MCDST is undervalued or no longer relevant. I was promoted in May of 2K9 and the promotion came with a nice raise during one of the worst economic times on record.

The point is that a cert or degree proves that you earned something that cannot be taken away from you and it may only be worth getting you one step closer to your goal, but a necessary step.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE