What is Virtual anything?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by ClassicD, Jul 27, 2010.

1. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Hi,

Can anyone give me a brief description on what virtual network, or desktop is all about.

And what i would require.

I got a post back from someone saying they set up a virtual network with 3 XP workstations. Im not sure what this means? Has he got 3 systems or is it 3 OS emulators on one system?

Classic.

Certifications: Diploma:IT, A+, N+, MCTS:70-680
    WIP: CCENT
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Link worth 1000 words

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Thanks

I could have asked wikipedia myself.

Classic.

4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Then why didnt you??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That was me.

Basically on my computer I run a free software tool from Microsft called virtual pc. It allows me to create virtual hard drives on my system (within the virtual pc software) so I can install operating systems onto them and mess about with settings without compromising my computer and its data.

I have 4 virtual hard drives one running windows server 2003 and 3 others running xp. This allows me to simulate a real life network with me as the administrator on the dc (server 2003) being able to create users and administer user permissions etc.

There are various virtual software tools out there like virtual pc and vmware.

There are other virtual named things out there like Vlan (Virtual local area network). A Vlan basically increases the size of a broadcast domain or network without the need for lots of hardware, hardware is still required but if you were just increasing the size of network segments then you would needs lot and lots of routers n switches, Vlans reduce the hardware you need.

Basically the term virtual in computing terms in my view is basically making something happen without the normal constraints of what you would do normally. i.e a Vlan reduces hardware needed. You can use virtual PC to do a pretend network setup on one pc.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. ClassicD

ClassicD Nibble Poster

Thanks very much greenbrucelee,

This has been extremely helpful and sets an example of what CF is all about im sure.

Regards

Classic.

:-D