what is the key to sucess??? Education or experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by coolc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

wat is da key to success experience or education..??

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Both... The term education* is a broad term, it doesn't just cover academic qualifications or certifications.

-Ken

*Education in the largest sense is any act or experience that has a formative effect on the mind, character or physical ability of an individual. In its technical sense, education is the process by which society deliberately transmits its accumulated knowledge, skills and values from one generation to another.

See here.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

What is the key to success? Firstly, not writing like a gangster on a certification forum (sorry, not an individual dig, I'm like this with everyone :oops:).

Though that in and of itself does highlight the importance of education. Sure, both are important in terms of gaining success (and my success, I assume you mean in your chosen career). However, you are unlikely to make it far in terms of gaining experience, without applying a *lot* of education - both in terms of gaining additional knowledge, and having the skills to deploy what you learn.

They're both important. But, in my opinion, education is more so.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I don't mean to be picky, Arro - but it's actually 'Gangsta'.

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Kissing Ass, or being good at your job and making good contacts.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Actually, its 'Gangxxxta' I believe. But I am in full agreement with Arro. Its really f*cking annoying.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Of a choice between the two, experience will always trump "education" if it is a choice between one or the other. Being able to do it, and having proven that you have done it is always going to be preferable to having read about how to do it.

I agree, however, with Kev. Networking is just as important in a lot of cases unfortunately. Its not so much what you know, but who you know.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

As the resident youngster here. I have not the foggiest what you are all talking about. You are all too "sick" for me. :D

It's a mixture of both Education and Experience. You should always be looking to improve not just your industry/job specific education and knowledge base, but your general one as well. Learning lessons and being able to cookie cut past experiences into the current is pretty critical too.

On another note, I am interested in what coolCs opinion is!

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I can speak from personal experience in saying that experience definitely trumps education. I left the military back in '09 with no degree and zero certs. Within two months I landed a temporary role that I ended up turning down for permanent upon an offer from another company. What got me the job was my experience and my personal skills (i.e. communication, work-ethic, professionalism, etc.). I made it clear to them in the interviews how I was the best candidate, and the fact that I had no degree or cert did not stop them from hiring me.

That being said, education can take the experience you already have and make you MORE valuable to prospective employers and set you up for success. It won't guarantee success, but make it more likely with you have a good combination of the two.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  10. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

Nerd Speak ITT

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCP
    WIP: N+ maybe.
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I am *so* tempted to rep this!!

I think the entirety of this debate will pivot on how you define education, as Ken pretty much said at the start. Education isn't just certs and classrooms.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Neither or both.

You cant have one without the other. Think of Dune. The worm is the spice, the spice is the worm.

Education is experience, experience is education. :twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what nugget said.

Also be aware that there are many people on here who are employers and you may get a chance with them if you are lucky so typing in text speak wont do you any good.

Text speak is for mobile phones not typing on a public forum, it just makes you look lazy and a bit of a tool.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's a fact.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Experience is education.
    To be successful, you have to continually educate yourself. Not just in techy stuff but all the ins and outs of working life.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  15. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Text speak can be very annoying even on a mobile phone. I may only resort to this if 160 characters is simple not enough, but nevertheless try to avoid it as it's common courtesy to give others the respect of speaking (typing) to them doesn't drive them down to a lower level.

Maybe I'm just getting old as I violated that very rule back when I was ~15 and hang out on bulletin boards...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This.

I wholeheartedly believe in education. If I did not, I wouldn't be in the IT certification training field. But experience will always trump education. In truth, experience IS a form of education... it's education on how to do things in a real-world environment. Education on its own, without any real-world experience behind it, is simply theoretical and unapplied knowledge.

All that said... I don't think either one of these is "THE KEY TO SUCCESS", because I don't think that there's just one key. There are many keys that will increase the chances of success, of which experience and education are only two. But there are certain keys which, if missing, can absolutely derail your chance of success. These "vital" keys include drive/motivation, determination/willpower, and mindset/attitude. Lacking any of these can cause a career to stagnate or fail, no matter how much experience or education you have.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I think that this is what really takes people to success in this job market. Many are so focused on certs and CVs that they are forgetting that at the end of the day the employer wants someone who will be a good all-around employee. Especially in the IT world where more times than not you are having to communicate with users and managers about the service that is being provided. The things BosonMichael has said are what will set you apart from the regular breed of job seekers in that it shows the employer that you truly do have more to offer than just being the "computer guy". I'm of the belief that if you know your stuff AND possess these "soft" skills, you will have a much EASIER (not easy) time getting by in these tough times.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  18. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

As Ken says education covers a lot more than just formal education, and does not mean you 'just read about it' or 'just watched someone else do it'.

Even if we are just talking about formal education, what about people with Physics PhD's ? You think none of them do any groundbreaking work or experiments during their years at college ? What about professional researchers / professors at educational establishments ?

Agreed many routes to success and many factors, there is no one answer, 'there is no silver bullet', looking for one merely shows that the person has no real understanding of the world or the industry or solving problems in general.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As someone who holds a Chemistry degree (minor in Physics) and has seen that research in action, comparing science research to IT study is apples to oranges.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It was in response to Fergals general remarks on education, people seem to assume that everything on the forum relates to IT support, the terms education and IT both cover huge areas. People can and do take advanced computer science education courses, at various levels including post doc, IT vs hard science education, while different does not have to be apples to oranges. Some people do make real breakthoughs while on such courses. To infer otherwise is rather disingenuous, not all of IT is turning something 'on and off' again, somebody has to design the hardware, OS's, algorithms, etc.

I know people with Chemistry degrees and PhD's, they made the same arguments that you have made, that they needed a PhD to do more than wash test tubes, so you could argue that lower level chemistry grads are just like techs anyway, they become lab technicians.

As to IT vs Science, well Tim Berners Lee pretty much invented the internet while at CERN, Googles creators pretty much invented Google at Stanford, etc. There can be overlap between science and IT, generally I'd have to agree that the average science PhD is going to discover more than the average Computer Science Phd. The point is there is good and bad research, as well as good and bad degrees as well as good and bad work experience, none of them automagically prove anything without some further 'qualification' as in the measurement sense.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011