what is the correct order of power up and down

Discussion in 'A+' started by ParviJatt, Sep 24, 2007.

1. ParviJatt

ParviJatt Bit Poster

just wanted to know what is the correct order of power up and down a computer modem and router???

i think its Modem, computer then router?? to power up, if thats the case whats to power down?

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Personally I would suggest you power up the modem / router before the PC. If the computer is being leased an IP address from DHCP, whichever device is acting as the DHCP server should be powered up first. Having said that it will sort itself out in a few minutes.

Powering down, it doesnt matter at all which order.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

As bluerinse said doesn't matter which order you power down, always power up the modem/router first then the PC.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. auisce

auisce Bit Poster

Uh maybe a silly question but um...

Why would you ever power down a router? Reboot okay but actually power down?

Certifications: ECDL lvl 2
    WIP: CompTIA A+/MCDST
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

There could be many reasons why you would power down a router.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

How about moving its location from one room to another?, putting it inside a cabinet?
    Just a few of the top of my head ;)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You almost never power down internetworking devices such as routers and switches but as has been mentioned, there are some valid reasons. For example, if your company is moving across town and you physically need to move your data center, then obviously, you'll need to be powering down these devices.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

that would probably be how i'd do it if i had to do it properly and then in reverse to shut down. in reality though i'd do it in order of which is physically closer :oops:

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640