What is the best way for Cisco Learning?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by jimmie16v, Apr 6, 2007.

1. jimmie16v

jimmie16v New Member

Great forum.

I have been thinking about learning Cisco for a couple of years now. But Im not really not sure how to go about it. Should I start by doing Comptia A+ and N+ first followed by the CCNA?

I see a lot of you on here have MCSE. would it be worth me doing this before the A+ and N+?

Also am I right in saying that it will take around 2-3 years to get up to CCNA standard with at least 10 - 15 hours study a week.

Just one last question. Once I get to CCNA level, will it be easy to find work? or is it like most jobs, you need at least a couple of years experience?

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum.

A+ is definitely the place to start. Then get an entry-level IT job and start building experience. Network+ and MCDST are great to follow up with. MCSA and MCSE are more advanced certifications - you should really wait on those until you have some IT experience. Same with the CCNA - wait until you get some experience. The amount of time it takes you to study depends on you and your level of experience - everyone is different.

You *should* already have 2-3 years experience before you even think about the CCNA, in my opinion, so you'll meet any 2-3 year experience requirements. You won't be able to find work with no experience and a CCNA - companies simply don't hire people without experience to be router admins, because it's not an entry-level job.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome aboard. I agree with Bosonmichael entirely.

Good luck with the certs and job.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. jimmie16v

jimmie16v New Member

Thanks for the replys. Better start getting my head down to studying. I have built 4 - 5 PC's over the last 4 years, and usually end up fixing friends and familys Pc's, not always successful.:x So I do have some knowledge.

Anyway been looking in to buying some A+ books. From what I have read, looks like the Mike Meyers books are the way to go. Should I wait until the new edition's come out begining of May, or will the old 2006 versions be ok?

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Personally, I would wait until the new edtion. If it's listed on Amazon, place the order and they will send it as soon as they have it.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the CF forum and I'd second that you start with the A+ cert to get a solid foundation.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell