What is the best IT job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ericrollo, May 6, 2010.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

What is the best IT job?

My ideas were working for MI5 and GCHQ but they would be extreme jobs in concern to IT.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well posting about it in an open forum has pretty much shut those doors for you!!

As for the best job? that surely has to be down to the individual. Whats good for one person could be crap for the next.

For me the ideal job is to be paid lots of money to play with technology all day long and not be bothered with clients.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Eric - you do ask some dopey questions sometimes. How can there be any answer to that? It depends what you like doing.

Do you like working with servers? Then I guess 'Server Admin' would be a good choice.
    Do you like working with Firewalls? Then I guess 'Security Admin' would be a good choice.
    DO you like working with Routers & Switches? Then I guess 'Network Admin' would be a good choice...

See where this is going? :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

One that you enjoy.

EDIT: Yeah, what Zeb said.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

My next one..

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The one I dont have to go to, but get paid for anyway.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm not telling you, or you'll all want one. 8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Whichever one that pays your wages regardless of name or company.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

A better question Mr Mason would be what would be your ideal job in IT? To answer that I'd have to say Security Consultant, as I get a kick out of protecting data and constantly learning new tricks :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

^^ all of this plus the one that I have right now. It's an IT job and I get to play and do IT stuff. That's all thats needed really.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what they said.

I enjoy the learning curve I have and fiddling about with the firewalls. Tis pretty cool.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Something like this for me, not a specific job but what would be good for me to achieve:

I.T. Tech / Current role (project office coordinator) TO Senior Tech / Graduate Scheme TO Project Manager / network manager TO some sort of senior i.t. manager TO I.T. Director / CIO.

Having said that, I would like to get to a comfortable position of project manager / network manager or teaching by the age of 30. So 5 years to go when I get back from New York.

MI5 / GCHQ would be a cool place to work for def.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  13. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

any IT job atm!

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  14. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Depends whether you like red tape and being restircted to your exact role and never able to demonstrate further development in new areas!

15. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I used to work at MI5 once, not that great really, only got a 10% discount on some sofas, but they had some comfy chairs which were nice, shame they went under.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  16. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I meant MFI !!!, I get confused quite often in my autumn years ! where are the wurthers and my slippers.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  17. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

For me it would be any job where I get to work with Servers and virtualization all day long. Never been interested in anything other than the basics in networking/switches, printers, telephone changes etc etc etc.

I guess that my stab would be server admin in that case. :biggrin

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  18. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

I used to work for MFI, it was awesome but everyone there always thought they were James Bond, it was stupid.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  19. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Beer taster, pole dancing standards , prostitute tester, premiership footballer,

As for worst jobs gary glitters personal data hider, michael barrymores pool cleaner, the script writer for hollyoaks(what do you mean there isnt one??) i could go on for ages here lol

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I once got to check out the Tennessee Titans IT operation... that was pretty cool.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!