what is mos?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), Office 365' started by Frontier, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. Frontier

    Frontier Byte Poster

    would I be right in thinking its some sort of advanced ms office cert? are there alot of office experts on these forums? I admit to only having pretty basic knowledge of it :oops:
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

    zimbo Petabyte Poster

    mos used to be called MOUS - it means Microsoft Office Specialist and are recognized for demonstrating advanced skills with Microsoft desktop software.... im not an expert on it but i think its on two levels.. specialist and expert.. :D
    Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

    SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Ken

    Ken Bit Poster

    What I don't understand is this: do you have to take all* the exams to get the MOS?
    *Word, Excel, Access, etc.?
    And, does one MOS exam (e.g. Word) earn you the MCP? :rolleyes:
  5. JonnyMX

    JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

    The way I read it, you can become an MOS by doing one exam in one product. You can get advanced MOS by doing an advanced exam in any product, and a master MOS by doing a combination of 4 exams.
    It doesn't make it totally clear though.

    Also, unusually for MS, you are not actually allowed to use the MOS logo even if you are one... According to the FAQ.
    Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

    Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

    Hi Ken,

    MOS is very different from the MCP. You won't get a MCP by doing MOS.

    MOS is for the end user.

    MCP is for IT Professionals.

    -Ken (another one)
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Ken

    Ken Bit Poster

    Thanks. I assumed as much, but I wasn't sure because I read that you only need one microsoft cert to earn the MCP. Which type of cert was not stated in the blurb.
    Also, to get the MOS you need to pass only the one exam? That seems strange. Wouldn't everybody go for Word or Excel, since 80% (guessing now) of office work is probably done using those two applications?
  8. Keimos

    Keimos Byte Poster

    Hi Ken and Frontier,

    Simplified, you can become a Microsoft office Specialist by taking 1 exam from either Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Outlook or Project.

    The most common form of the MOS Certification is the Microsoft Office Specialist Master, to achieve Master status you have to pass Word Expert, Excel Expert, PowerPoint Comprehensive and then you have a choice of taking either Outlook or Access core exams.

    Core exams are about intermediate level.

    Certifications: Microsoft Office Specialist

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.