What is ITIL?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Haroon Mustafa, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I was wondering what ITIL is. As I am looking for a new job in Desktop Support or something similar and I have noticed the all desire ITIL certifications.

I have heard of ITIL, but that is not good enough as I am getting several different descriptions about ITIL when searching on Google.

Haroon

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  2. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Have you looked at the following Website:

https://www.axelos.com/best-practice-solutions/itil

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
    Aj1 likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

To put it simply.. a set of standard procedures to carry out a set of tasks which result in some sort of benefit to a company.

4. Ash88

Ash88 New Member

Basically, it is an Internationally recognised certification for IT Service Management. It teaches you about a set of practices that help align IT Services with the needs of the business. If you have the opportunity to add that cert to your portfolio, then definitely do so. It's popularity is on the increase.

5. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

Sorry to sound cynical but.....

ITIL is a set of service management best practices that are never adhered to in the real world. All you get is excuses, BS and people doing whatever they want. Hardly any of the processes are ever followed in my experience !!!

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I beg to differ, I have worked at a number of large international companies that do adhere to the ITIL framework, if you have people who actually understand ITIL and what it can offer to the business (or you have a CEO who has been bitten by the business not following ITIL best practices and getting hit with loss of faith, financial impacts etc and who does come down hard on those people who don't stick to following process).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

So if there is an outage with several hundred users affected and a vice president phones up a senior IT guy he knows (bypassing the help desk) and demands the focus is made on his faulty PC who gets priority ? !

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I would say the users with the outage as they most likely have a service level agreement in regards to downtime and seeing though users=profits surely they would get priority.. the only way I could see the vice president getting priority would be if his issue needed to be sorted for the system to get back up and running. Don't take my word as gospel, I passed ITIL but haven't worked in an ITIL environment. @SimonD will know the answer.

9. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

ITIL is a framework of best practices, It is the essential standards that you try to uphold.

There will always be cases where things do not align precisely in ITIL within any organisation.

ITIL is not that you MUST do things in a certain way, simply a best practice way to operate whenever and wherever possible. ITIL should be used as a support framework within a business but it can be flexible where needed.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well if your VP is business minded then he should know that the several hundred users not working is more important than him alone.

I work in an environment where downtime can cost millions, trust me if one of the senior managers is complaining about his laptop when the site is down he won't be working there for long.

Yes I agree that it can happen but having been put in that kind of situation before I can tell you that if you have a decent manager to back you up (or better still a CEO who understands the business) then telling the VP to wait his turn it's going to work out just fine.

ITIL as a framework works in some environments, it may not work for a small company with 5 people but it can definitely aid in a company with hundreds.

I freely admit that learning ITIL is boring but it's boring because it's a dry subject but I do see the benefits of working with it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

Thank you for all the comments guys! Its helped! :D

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That is down to the implementation of ITIL; some are poorly implemented, used just as a tick box exercise. "Best practice methodologies" is not there to stifle innovation and should evolve with the organisation.

It's not as simple as that, you have to take into consideration the situation as a whole. The VP may be working on a legal document or a business bid that may be more of a priority than the 100 odd users, remember an ITIL implementation will be/can be different from organisation to organisation (eg what is best practice for one, may not be best practice for another).

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security